IGNORED

Trout Fishing

Thunderchicken

5 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

I will be with my 6' rod and spinning reel with power bait and trout magnets-going after stocked trout. You wild trout purist snobs keep your bashing to a minimum please.:rofl:

lol just think you can make Claymation animals out of the leftover power bait. lol jk. Best of luck 3 blade.  

a10022i0_playdohcat185.jpg

I'm looking to get into Ultralight trout fishing this year. Maybe someone can help me with this question. I see some many different manufacturers of ultralight spinning rods on the market, What would be a good rod to buy for streams and Kayak lake fishing, rod length, rod weight & warranty. My friend told me to get the new Ugly Stik Elite, Does anyone use the Ugly Stik?. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

4 minutes ago, Coonan357 said:

I'm looking to get into Ultralight trout fishing this year. Maybe someone can help me with this question. I see some many different manufacturers of ultralight spinning rods on the market, What would be a good rod to buy for streams and Kayak lake fishing, rod length, rod weight & warranty. My friend told me to get the new Ugly Stik Elite, Does anyone use the Ugly Stik?. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

rod length a lot of times is better based on the allowable area to cast, a shorter rod for smaller creeks and streams , a longer rod for bigger streams and rivers.

I like the Fenwick HMG rods, for the money they are a super rod.

for a longer ultralight I like  the Fenwick Elite Tech River runner series

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

44 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

I will be with my 6' rod and spinning reel with power bait and trout magnets-going after stocked trout. You wild trout purist snobs keep your bashing to a minimum please.:rofl:

I was all about salmon eggs and Mepps or Fox Vibrax spinners when I didn't exclusively fly fish.  I felt I could catch every trout in the river armed with those.  These days, the odd fluke trip or striper trolling trip are my only exceptions to fly fishing.  But I refuse to wear tweed while dry fly fishing and casting upstream.  I do have my snobbery limits, after all.  :)     

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I keep telling you that once I get you catching huge, wild trout on the West Branch, you'll toss your spinning gear in the trash.  And on dries, but you will need to cast far, young grasshopper.  And learn the reach cast and upstream mend.  So much to teach you still :nerd::rofl:

Brian is a great guide......my daughter  and her boyfriend did a trip with him and had a great time......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

rod length a lot of times is better based on the allowable area to cast, a shorter rod for smaller creeks and streams , a longer rod for bigger streams and rivers.

I like the Fenwick HMG rods, for the money they are a super rod.

for a longer ultralight I like  the Fenwick Elite Tech River runner series

Thank you for the help, It's very confusing trying to pick the correct rod with all the manufacturers making different actions, weight, modulus ratings.

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I keep telling you that once I get you catching huge, wild trout on the West Branch, you'll toss your spinning gear in the trash.  And on dries, but you will need to cast far, young grasshopper.  And learn the reach cast and upstream mend.  So much to teach you still :nerd::rofl:

Not only will you toss the spinning gear in the trash, but you’ll never want to fish NJ again. I know I have completely stopped fishing nj. I only fish  NY and sometimes PA now. Wild fish make stocked trout  seem like fighting a wet rag. And you don’t have nearly the same amount of fishing pressure. Most anglers up there also show a bit more respect to their fellow anglers. 

IMO the best rod length for all around trout fishing  is a 6' to 6'6" ultra light with the 6'6" being my personal choice rated for 2 to 6 lb test line and good reel that's rated for the same, the manufacturer of rod and reel you choose will depend on how much you're willing to spend . Use 4 lb test when the waters up and 2 lb when its low and clear. That should get you started in the right direction