IGNORED

Crazy Opening Day Turkey Mishap

bushden

Got out early yesterday and set up in one of my favorite spots, just getting lite I have gobbles coming from two different directions.  I made my first call and they opened up but then I heard yelps coming from just on the property line and knew I had another hunter competing for these birds. I did some lite calling and one of the birds was heading my way and he got behind me, and I continued  purrs  and he was almost on top of me and no shot unless he comes around. The other hunter shoots and bird gets spooky but stays in there, after a few minutes of silence he starts moving to my front and decides to mount one of my hen decoys. I did not want to shoot and risk pellets in the decoy so waited for him to realize he was not having his way with my decoy and I took the shot, bird goes right down and I got up to go tag and retrieve him. I needed to cut a section of rope to carry him and while I was cutting the rope I slipped and cut through my right hand middle finger to the bone. After going to my emergency bag and  stopping the bleeding (fingers bleed a lot)  I picked up my gear and the bird and went right to the ER.  After doc stitches me up I head home with tail between my legs and had to listen to wife give me a lecture about hunting alone. Any way now I have a bird to clean and only one good hand to get it done. My wife of 53 years for the first time helped me with the bird and we got it done. After it was all done I realized I did not take a picture. Any way the bird will provide turkey burgers for our summer barbecue and when I cook it I will post pictures of Denny's barbecue turkey burgers :happy:

Now I have to take a week off until hand heals and stitches come out before I go out next week.

Edited by bushden
Spelling

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

39 minutes ago, bushden said:

I needed to cut a section of rope to carry him

Ouch!

Here's a pro tip - buy one of those turkey "tote" straps made of paracord with metal rings. One of my best turkey gear purchases - makes carrying the bird out of the woods much easier. And you can use it to hang the bird when you get home (on a tree or wherever) and can be used to hang the bird onto the hook of a scale if measuring the weight. You can even get them with orange paracord so it stands out for safety as you walk out of the woods with it.

Plus, it's much cheaper than a visit to the ER ;) 

For example: https://www.etsy.com/listing/513775551/turkey-totes

il_1140xN.1870345440_85ho.jpg

1 hour ago, SPEARFISH said:

Congrats!

I kept reading hoping you didn't get shot.

Getting shot would have been less of a blow to my ego! What a rookie mistake I made.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL