IGNORED

2024 Garden Thread

Welp…it’s definitely an early spring!!  There are plants, trees, shrubs, & flowers waking up all over!!

I like to get my sugar snaps planted by St Paddy’s Day….so me and my lil gardener got em in yesterday!!  Also sowed some lettuce and spinach!!  Tiller fired up on the first pull too after a long hibernation!!

Next week I will be adding rabbit manure to the rest of the garden

Good luck with your gardens this year!!

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

Started last month taking the fence down.  Has to dry out before tilling it to plant grass seed.  Just doing the flower beds this year.  Garden became a waste. Nobody was eating anything from it except the chickens which I'm down to 1 and won't be getting anymore.   Wife would buy stuff just when the same thing was ready to pick in the garden.  Easier just to buy it from the store when we want something and doesn't cost much more than planting it.  Seeds aren't 10 cents a pack anymore and plants have gotten too expensive to just throw it all away.  

Crocuses bloomed and daffodils are opening.

Good luck with your gardens!

20240211_1706521.thumb.jpg.4db5f3148b0d770bf3bf21f076d4ad8e.jpg

On 3/16/2024 at 5:56 PM, Greybeard said:

Easier just to buy it from the store when we want something and doesn't cost much more than planting it.

I agree with the exception of home grown tomatoes.  So this year I'm only planting tomatoes, all heirloom,  6-8 different types.  They don't need that much care. 

2 hours ago, Gman said:

I agree with the exception of home grown tomatoes.  So this year I'm only planting tomatoes, all heirloom,  6-8 different types.  They don't need that much care. 

My tomatoes were getting some kind of fungus on the plants and eventually got spots on the tomatoes.  tried a couple different things to kill it but it kept coming back.  Nothing is as good as a fresh tomato off the vine.  But they go right through me anymore, after my surgery.  Wife buys a couple when she goes shopping and they end up going to the chicken.  My days of fresh garden lettuce and tomato on a burger are over.  I canned pickles and froze beans and my wife would buy them anyway, so it's a lot of work for nothing.  Maybe I'll throw last years leftover seeds in the mulch pile dirt and see what comes up.

QUestion - i have a small area thats level right next to the house 3.5 x 6 - not big but got zucchini and lettuce from it. I use home depot buckets for tomatoes.

My yard goes downhill away from my house. If i wanted to do other beds do i have to do boxes and level them?

It’s the same story the crow told me, it’s the only one he knows…

Perfect day to plant..more snap peas, spinach, & lettuce going in.  

Should be interesting how it catches up to the planting I did just prior to St Paddy’s Day then sold temps hit a cold snap. 

And oh by golly….there was something under that metal can after all!!  

IMG_0892.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg