IGNORED

2024 Garden Thread

On 3/18/2024 at 1:23 PM, Gman said:

I agree with the exception of home grown tomatoes.  So this year I'm only planting tomatoes, all heirloom,  6-8 different types.  They don't need that much care. 

I have never eaten a tomato from a store that was as good as home grown. Not even from a local farm. 

I gave up on any vegetable garden. Once had one that was some 60ft by 30ft all raised beds. Grew just about all from Tomatoes to Cantolopes.  my property was once a Potato Farm.  Good soil mixed with Clay, Then as time passed every type of insect and Critter took over, and since I was mainly feeding the neighborhood. I downsized big-time, Maybe 8 ft by 12 ft Failed crops and Mystery insects made me give up.   went down to a few Container pots on my deck until those  Tomatoes began to show some success Grond Hogs Skunks  Deer ate them to dirt. 

Even gave up on Koi Ponds as Egrats & Racoons ate them all, in the last 40-some years my gardens have evolved and grown even overgrown.   To the point of low maintenance semi deer proof,  But I will carry on as long as I can, 

Photos are but a few are a progression to now doing another renovation 

005.JPG

Garden Photos 2005 007.jpg

Carols Garden 004.JPG

Garden Photos 2005 024.jpg

Yard Pruning 1.JPG

DSC_0001 - Copy - Copy.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Grass was frozen this morning, heavy frost on windshield, yard still a swamp, garden is mud.  Waiting to plant it with grass seed.  Had tilled it then the rain washed a stream through it.  Done growing veggies, I'm sticking with gathering meat.  Flowers are doing good, Daffy Dills, High On Sins, Two Lips. 

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Grass was frozen this morning, heavy frost on windshield, yard still a swamp, garden is mudWaiting to plant it with grass seed.  Had tilled it then the rain washed a stream through it.  Done growing veggies, I'm sticking with gathering meat.  Flowers are doing good, Daffy Dills, High On Sins, Two Lips. 

Yarsd the best in 38 years must have planted many bags of seed in that time.  last fall did a Thatching -Spike Aerating  - put down 3 types of seed and Fertilizer Had a perfect winter less snow good temps and rain. so far did 3 cuts after the cleanup.  None to concentrate on my renovations 

And no I have no lawn Sprinkler System and do very little watering. 

And gave up on Veggies years ago. If I was not feeding the Wildlife it was the Neighbors.  

And it kills me that Tomatoes on local stands can be $3. a Lb  But The best White Corn to be had on Rt 9 Manalapan  was just under $1 cheaper by the dozen and for some reason keeps in the frig for days just as sweet and tender 

The last photos are Fall after cleanup before the tear out & renovation begin 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

Yard 1.JPG

Yard Pruning 1.JPG

Edited by 1957Buck

Ok Swedish Hunter   :fudd:that is some well-organized gardening.  I used just raised beds and did a lot of weeding., I once plated Garlic but did it in Oct. and come July would pull some as purple stems Like scallions. they never reach to be a Bulb. Sadly I had so many problems and issues over the years I had to give up. 

But for fun, I will plant in a Pot  a seeded potato and a sprouted Onion they become a huge Plant on my deck and even Flower 

• 2 weeks later...