IGNORED

Lamiglas LCS9MS reel

CJ3a

32 minutes ago, flukebelly said:

You’re correct. It all depends how close to $1000 you want to get ! Lol. To be honest I’ll be looking to get a V.S. To pair up with a 10 footer at the expo.

but man those newer diawa’s are hard to beat .

The vr is actually cheaper. ( I say that lightly)  I think the difference is its cast not forged

8 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Have had good luck with Penn Slammer, Daiwa BG, and Shimano Saragossa.  Any of the three should be good unless you are dunking and reeling under water.

I packed my saragosa with bering grease.   Had to repack every few trips but it's the original and still going strong.   It dosnt get dunked any longer

6 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Penn spinfisher 7 live liner  4500

you can use it to throw lures as well as bait fish if you wanted to .

30 # Berkley X9  for the line 

Just curious why a reel with live liner. No need for it due to circle hooks 

10 hours ago, Buckeyes11 said:

Just curious why a reel with live liner. No need for it due to circle hooks 

If your putting a rod in a sand spike , I like having it in a bait runner mode .

you could do the same backing off on the drag .

Usually if I’m bait fishing I have a few rods out , so could be fighting a fish on another 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I know some of you LOVE the van Staal reels, especially for surf fishing. My experience with them is they suck. Way over priced garbage. Customer service sucks too...wait 6 months for parts. Broke handles like they were tooth picks on school sized bass. 

Is it strictly going to use the rod to throw plugs and tins put yourself a 5000 series reel on but if you're going to snag bunker and peanut bunker also with it I go with some type of Bait Runner 4000 series that's just my experience using 8&9 foot surf rods for that type of fishing if your just going to Dead stick it and chunk with it put a baitrunner on it

Fishing gear is no different then trucks. Some like Ford. Some like Chevy. 

My dad raised me on Penn gear. It's all I knew. After losing a tiderunner weakie during the great days(mid 90s) in brigantine and ac area I was introduced to Shimano. Didn't look back. I wasn't replacing parts every other month. The drag of a Penn didn't compare to a Shimano.   Now I know Penn and daiwa have come a long way since then but I stick with what I know.  When my dad passed in 2017 I grabbed all his fishing gear. Still had his Penns. Lol half needed parts. Lol. And the same reel size as a Shimano was 4-8oz heavier. 

As for vs reels. mostt bass want a slow moving plug/bucktail....the vs retrieve helps me slow down. My  skishing days are over but when you have 2 boys who are part fish....they will get sandy and wet. Lol. 

IMG_20240303_095104.jpg

54 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Fishing gear is no different then trucks. Some like Ford. Some like Chevy. 

My dad raised me on Penn gear. It's all I knew. After losing a tiderunner weakie during the great days(mid 90s) in brigantine and ac area I was introduced to Shimano. Didn't look back. I wasn't replacing parts every other month. The drag of a Penn didn't compare to a Shimano.   Now I know Penn and daiwa have come a long way since then but I stick with what I know.  When my dad passed in 2017 I grabbed all his fishing gear. Still had his Penns. Lol half needed parts. Lol. And the same reel size as a Shimano was 4-8oz heavier. 

As for vs reels. mostt bass want a slow moving plug/bucktail....the vs retrieve helps me slow down. My  skishing days are over but when you have 2 boys who are part fish....they will get sandy and wet. Lol. 

IMG_20240303_095104.jpg

Thats why each brand is made .

guys are all looking for something that fits them .

That being said , I have to have over 15000 worth of Penn reels .

not one has been repaired , even haven’t replaced drag washers in any of them from battles to Internationals

They are fished hard , rinsed at days end and drags backed off after rinsing 

only reels I have to get serviced ever have been my ABU reels .

i even have original quantum stuff from mid 80’s that fish like new , as does my older Daiwa stuff

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

If you want to spend $1000 for a reel take a look at Visser also.  If I were buying a reel for your surf outfit, I would get a Shimano Saragusa.

Edited by Nomad

21 hours ago, CJ3a said:

4500 or 6000? Seems like a big difference in size. When I looked at the penn site.

Yeah, 6000 on that sized rod is way bigger than works for me. 4000 or 4500 size not only balances nicely and keeps you fresh when you're casting all night long, but makes the fight more fun

15 hours ago, Nomad said:

Have had good luck with Penn Slammer, Daiwa BG, and Shimano Saragossa.  Any of the three should be good unless you are dunking and reeling under water.

Stradic cheaper, not as smooth, and more durable than Saragosa. Old stradics before FL are best if you can get one. 

1 hour ago, JFC1 said:

Stradic cheaper, not as smooth, and more durable than Saragosa. Old stradics before FL are best if you can get one. 

I've bent three spindles on my stradic