IGNORED

Lamiglas LCS9MS reel

CJ3a

Just now, Nomad said:

I bought a BG for my son's surf rod.  2 years now and no problems, very smooth also. Can't beat the price.

Great reels that withstood the test of time. I have them in multiple sizes and use them all alot with no issues. Im sure your son will land stripers with that reel for many many years

AWM

14 hours ago, vdep217 said:

I haven't had the opportunity to handle a visser.  But I have handled z bass (also started by the same guy)  when you venture into the completely sealed reel designed to be underwater in salt smooth is not really a priority nor a reality.  While I feel the vs vr series is slightly smoother than the vs it's no where near as smooth as my saragosa.  I'm on my 4th season with my vr and it's still going strong.

The vs is on my 11ft 1 odm I use fir wading and most of the time I'm chest deep and the reel is under water alot.  I have a 10 ft baby ula I use on the beach that my saragosa is on that dosnt get wet any more.  I used to pack it every couple trips with grease.

I have been looking for a sealed reel for my back bay Fenwicks I'm just torn do I go with another vs or try out the tsunami salt x.  I've heard good things.  But I'm not sure about it standing up to the abuse I may put it through

They are coffee grinders for a reason .

they have  slop built into them  intentionally so sand doesn’t effect their operation as quickly .

I honestly don’t think most guys fish enough to need anything more than a $125 dollar reel from any brand .

But guys who are out there nightly will see every cheap reel fail at some point because of the sand/water mix .

Thats why Van Stall has a following of guys who don’t want to see those failures when they finally have a great fish on .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I own a Van Staal VR50, thing throws more wind knots than any reel I've ever owned. I've changed the line a couple times, doesn't make a difference. At some point you have to stop making excuses for a $500 reel. 

get a diawa BG if your going cheap, Shimano gossa or stella if you have some cash to burn. 

11 minutes ago, NJNewbie said:

I own a Van Staal VR50, thing throws more wind knots than any reel I've ever owned. I've changed the line a couple times, doesn't make a difference. At some point you have to stop making excuses for a $500 reel. 

get a diawa BG if your going cheap, Shimano gossa or stella if you have some cash to burn. 

I've never had a wind not in my 200..  what size rod do you have it on?  My guess is your first guide is way to big for the reel spool causing the wind knots

1 hour ago, NJNewbie said:

Try some Fireline .  Never had a wind knot. I use 30 breaking strength of 60. Throw 2 to 4 ounce lures.

Edited by Nomad

I have it on a grumpy sandstorm rod(i think its a 7'6), I've also had it on a tica, diawa and some others. Got wind knots in all 3 and with 3 different types of braid. 

Currently has 20lb braided power pro. I went down to 20lb from 30 hoping to help with the wind knots. Didn't help...

Currently the reel is about 1/2 spooled, still throwing knots. Nothing has helped so far and i dont have the same issue with reels that are less than half the price. 

I also bought the sandstorm from Grumpy in seaside because i described the wind knot issue to the guys at the store and they said they specifically designed this rod for the VR50. Hasnt been any help, but i do like the rod. 

26 minutes ago, NJNewbie said:

I have it on a grumpy sandstorm rod(i think its a 7'6), I've also had it on a tica, diawa and some others. Got wind knots in all 3 and with 3 different types of braid. 

Currently has 20lb braided power pro. I went down to 20lb from 30 hoping to help with the wind knots. Didn't help...

Currently the reel is about 1/2 spooled, still throwing knots. Nothing has helped so far and i dont have the same issue with reels that are less than half the price. 

Power pros a disaster with wind knots for me, try Fire line

47 minutes ago, NJNewbie said:

Check the roller on the line pick up

6 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

They are coffee grinders for a reason .

they have  slop built into them  intentionally so sand doesn’t effect their operation as quickly .

Same as AK 47’s, slop wont make it stop LOL. But reeling one makes you want to take it off the rod and throw it in the water😂😂😂

AWM

I do quite a bit of surf fishing before the boats go in, mainly in the Raritan. 
I throw a Lamiglas LIS9MS 9’ paired with a C5000XG Stradic spooled w/ 30# Power Pro.  Majority of the time, I’m tossing  2-3.5 oz plugs, medal lips & gliders.
This set up is ultra light and powerful. 
For those who fish the surf, know you cast A LOT, and Comfort is key !!! Casting a long distance is as important ( most of the time ). 
As stated numerous times, it’s all about what you like, what fits you best and what you can afford. 

Tight lines