IGNORED

Ask before you book

bucky

I decided do a lazy mans trip so I jumped on a open boat striper trip with expectations of fishing for the ocean jumbos that have been advertised recently . We departed the dock under beautiful conditions  but we ended up fishing the bay chasing rats around all day within 5 miles from port catching around 35 unders with 4 slot fish boxed. During one of our lulls some of us spoke up and asked why were we fishing the bay and not the ocean? We received no response but it did prompt the capt. to take a ride to the NY side of the channel only to find more of the same size fish. I really should of backed out when the captain texted our group the night prior and suggested we bring a light spinning rod but unfortunately I am a man of my word and stuck to my commitment hoping for the best. So I will give some great advice, always ask what the trip will consist of before you book... If I knew what I know now I would of trailered the tin boat south...lesson learned the hard way:up:

Edited by bucky

And you have no idea if going ocean side would or produces anything, or anything bigger. I’ll always take a trip with decent action than a maybe something good. 
going ocean side is not costing them much more money, especially when you say he was chasing all day, and caps go on MRI so I think you had a good day and you are wishing a perfect day. 

Edited by Lunatic

Ocean side is a sh#t show  - you only get a few shots at bunker pods before you are surrounded by party, charter and private boats.     Yeah the fish are BIG but still frustrating.    And no shot at keepers - if you want to eat a striper or two.    Crazy fishery we have - brings out the worst in everyone.   I would hate to be a charter or party captain and have to do this every single day.   I run my boat in this mess several times every fall and makes me wonder why?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I have fished in that shit show many times, sometimes its best to take a ride and look for your own fish. Last year during a shit show a guy on another boat hooked my line while I was fighting a big fish he decided to cut my fish off instead of his own line. At that time I had to take ride to cool off :censored: I found several smaller schools of fish with no one around, every time a boat would drive by and I had a fish on I would lay my rod down and let them drive by, fished until dark alone:up:

13 hours ago, Lunatic said:

And you have no idea if going ocean side would or produces anything, or anything bigger. I’ll always take a trip with decent action than a maybe something good. 
going ocean side is not costing them much more money, especially when you say he was chasing all day, and caps go on MRI so I think you had a good day and you are wishing a perfect day. 

We were dealt lemons but we made the best of it and made some lemonade but we did work hard all day to make it. Most of the crew wanted to get on the big fish knowing they usually dont stick around for long. One guy on the crew was out on the ocean the day before and did real well with fish up to 40 lbs Oh well, live and learn, I will be back at it next week on my own terms:up:

Edited by bucky

26 minutes ago, bucky said:

I have fished in that shit show many times, sometimes its best to take a ride and look for your own fish. Last year during a shit show a guy on another boat hooked my line while I was fighting a big fish he decided to cut my fish off instead of his own line. At that time I had to take ride to cool off :censored: I found several smaller schools of fish with no one around, every time a boat would drive by and I had a fish on I would lay my rod down and let them drive by, fished until dark alone:up:

My striper net  is Huge , never gets used . As net movement grabs other fisherman’s attention even Easter than a bent rod .

Being we release 99% of the bass we catch I lip everything , and many times just un hook them while still in the water .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

20 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

My striper net  is Huge , never gets used . As net movement grabs other fisherman’s attention even Easter than a bent rod .

Being we release 99% of the bass we catch I lip everything , and many times just un hook them while still in the water .

Agreed, I don't even bring a net on the boat when bass fishing, lip em or use the boga:up:

Edited by bucky

I went on Wednesday. Weather was beautiful. Ran all the way to the rockaway’s. You could walk across the boats. Not my cup of tea. Ran back to the bay and chased fish the rest of the afternoon with barely anyone around. Plenty of action to be had. I would rather chase smaller fish then deal with the shit show and sitting on top of each other. 

IMG_1223.png