IGNORED

Setting up new tuna combo....

nmc02

I purchased a new set up for big, Stand up tuna (200 lb bluefin plus)....I am trying the new Howk Invictus rod w a Alutecnos 30 wide 2speed. This reel is the best on the market (I normally am a Shimano guy). No reel is close, unfortunately crazy priced, but smooth as silk drag...hard to believe, but true. It has 50 lbs of drag, if need be. Tackle direct $1250 plus......order from Europe $800 to my door. INSANE...save $400 plus shopping online! 

I will use this as a live bait rod...I never troll. I put Cortland c16, 130 lb braid. This is overkill for NJ yellowfin, but as good as it gets for 30 wide reels. This set up is better than most 50s or even bigger reels. I do a loop to loop connection w a 100 yd, 100 lb flouro top shot. 

Getting excited for tuna....

20230716_165437.jpg

20230717_205704.jpg

20230717_212344.jpg

Edited by nmc02

33 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I purchased a new set up for big, Stand up tuna (200 lb bluefin plus)....I am trying the new Howk Invictus rod w a Alutecnos 30 wide 2speed. This reel is the best on the market (I normally am a Shimano guy). No reel is close, unfortunately crazy priced, but smooth as silk drag...hard to believe, but true. It has 50 lbs of drag, if need be. Tackle direct $1250 plus......order from Europe $800 to my door. INSANE...save $400 plus shopping online! 

I will use this as a live bait rod...I never troll. I put Cortland c16, 130 lb braid. This is overkill for NJ yellowfin, but as good as it gets for 30 wide reels. This set up is better than most 50s or even bigger reels. I do a loop to loop connection w a 100 yd, 100 lb flouro top shot. 

20230716_165437.jpg

20230717_205704.jpg

20230717_212344.jpg

Great. Just what the site needs. ANOTHER stat guy..........

:rofl: J/K Nice set up Nick

Edited by LPJR

Nick if u put half the effort into whitetails with the spots u have as u do in tuna - u would shoot a 150” buck every season!  God bless.  Love the tuna but lost the passion for it years ago.  Still one of my favorite fish to eat and catch don’t get me wrong. But the expense and logistics ….. my hat is off to you for keeping the passion burning.  That reel better reel in a 350# plus this year! 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

14 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Nick if u put half the effort into whitetails with the spots u have as u do in tuna - u would shoot a 150” buck every season!  God bless.  Love the tuna but lost the passion for it years ago.  Still one of my favorite fish to eat and catch don’t get me wrong. But the expense and logistics ….. my hat is off to you for keeping the passion burning.  That reel better reel in a 350# plus this year! 

It is highly capable of anything up to 600 lb or so. I always tip my hat to you in terms of whitetails.....I have never put in a huge amount of effort, but have very good spots for sure! Fishing excites me more than hunting without a doubt, but love both. 

I am 100% ready for NJ & Cape Cod....

Edited by nmc02

10 hours ago, nmc02 said:

20230716_165437.jpg

20230717_205704.jpg

20230717_212344.jpg

Id have to debate with  you about that being the best in class 30W 

Avets trx 30w eats that and almost all 50 class reels alive

I fished for mason and Bluefin for a few years and we parted ways amicably because they could not produce reels with the amount of drag needed to subdue big fish quickly (IMO)

They are a beautifuly smooth well built reels but their max drag is Avet’s strike

My Trx 30w has 70# of drag and I have maxed it out on a 900# bluefin in PEI

im anxious to hear how your new rod holds up

the rod in the picture is a 450g black hole cape cod special

IMG_2779.jpeg

Edited by bowguide

2 hours ago, bowguide said:

Id have to debate with  you about that being the best in class 30W 

Avets trx 30w eats that and almost all 50 class reels alive

I fished for mason and Bluefin for a few years and we parted ways amicably because they could not produce reels with the amount of drag needed to subdue big fish quickly (IMO)

They are a beautifuly smooth well built reels but their max drag is Avet’s strike

My Trx 30w has 70# of drag and I have maxed it out on a 900# bluefin in PEI

im anxious to hear how your new rod holds up

the rod in the picture is a 450g black hole cape cod special

IMG_2779.jpeg

Ford V. Chevy...............I do not like Avet reels whatsoever, though their maintenance program is outstanding. I owned a few and sold them. NO where near as smooth a drag as the Alutecnos. As far as I can tell, the TRX smallest reel is a 50W and not made in a 30 w since 2018. If it was such a great reel, I would think it would still be sold. I also do not like the black hole rods, warranty for 1 year....definitely not spending top dollar for a product that isn't supported with a fair warranty.  That being said.....I have never caught a tuna close to 900 lbs and your experience trumps mine by a MILE. As of TODAY, no 30w reel better than this Alutecnos 30 Wide Gorilla; maybe the TRX was better (debatable) but no longer made.  I suggest trying out this reel and make your own opinion.....I have never used a finer reel. Smooth as silk drag and well made (Still made today). The bluefin I fish for tend to be in the 150 - 600 class.....50 lbs . of drag is plenty. 25 lb at strike with 100 lb leader and as fight goes on, push drag up. Therefore a 30 W is great....the class of fish in PEI are far bigger and in my opinion not suitable for a 30W (though I haven't fished there, but Avet discontinuing the 30w tells me a 50w is a better opinion for the bigger fish in PEI). 

I purchased the Howk rod because the reviews are good, price is good, & most importantly; it has a lifetime warranty. I will let you know.  

Sounds good on the rod I just named it for the picture sake. I will happily loan you mine and let you decide for yourself....The Quad drag system STOMPS Alutecnos...Like I said I fished them. Not sure why they were discontinued as people are willing to pay top dollar for them now. The smaller Avets are definitely nowhere near as smooth especially the regular size reels. Not sure about the EX series because they never appealed to me because of the lower drag ratings. You definitely got a great reel no doubt