IGNORED

Available Turkey Permits

archer36

I got an E-mail today about the OTC Permits available. There are literally thousands of permits not purchased, mostly in Northern Zones. 

Why?

If the permits were offered, does it make sense that there is ample turkey? At the same time, if there are ample turkey, why are not enough hunters hunting them?

Me personally, I am hit or miss with turkey hunting. More not than often. Last time I went was three years ago and not every year prior. 

I wait to see what the weather forecast is like and see how busy I am around the house before I buy the permit and it's usually D week. You can hunt all day and it's two weeks long. 

So, why so many left over permits? :acclaim:

3 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Permits are based on available land and not the amount of turkeys or the objective harvest (if there is even any, lol!). Its a money grab permit system, no management whatsoever 

Certainly seems that way. I guess the hunters are not fooled because the permits are not sold so it's a failed attempt at a "money grab". 

I’m so sick of the permit system it’s not even funny. New Jersey needs to do exactly what Tennessee just a did.

Your all-around hunting license gives you 2 turkeys for the spring season, one of them can be a Jake and then you’re done.

I’m tired of getting raped and having properties in different zones and having to pay additional costs just to check those spots

1 hour ago, hendryhill said:

I’m so sick of the permit system it’s not even funny. New Jersey needs to do exactly what Tennessee just a did.

Your all-around hunting license gives you 2 turkeys for the spring season, one of them can be a Jake and then you’re done.

I’m tired of getting raped and having properties in different zones and having to pay additional costs just to check those spots

The permitting system is more about saftey and quality of hunt.  Birds in spring are pretty concentrated.   Think about everyone in the woods at once it's a disaster waiting to happen.  We can not compare nj to any other state especially with turkey hunting..  not saying you but guys say there's no management but nj literally brought tge turkey population from zero to what we have today.  When I started turkey hunting the northern zones were said to be best now its central n south seems it happens in cycles

Edited by vdep217

They don’t manage turkeys in this State. They manage how much money they can squeeze out of you. Christ sakes the limit is 29 birds for the season. Every other State is lowering their limits. Hell PA had four times the number of birds we have and can only shoot two. Don’t get me started on the fact we can’t use a .410 in Jersey because Fish and Game to stubborn to keep up with the times.  Just like deer managed just for money

Edited by deerstalker420
Typo

25 minutes ago, smittty said:

Cycles. I don’t think so. When the world cycle is use in any kind of management it’s usually not a good thing. In my mind most wildlife and fisheries have no cycles. Unless it’s managed correctly once gone it doesn’t just cycle and get better 

We literally went from zero birds in the state to an abundance.  Alot of what you are seeing is the population leveling off.  I'll show you huge tracts of land here void of birds but can find pockets of large populations mostly in and around house this time of year.   Why they have saftey food and water. 

6 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

We literally went from zero birds in the state to an abundance.  Alot of what you are seeing is the population leveling off.  I'll show you huge tracts of land here void of birds but can find pockets of large populations mostly in and around house this time of year.   Why they have saftey food and water. 

Yup we sure did what year was that again? And how many turkeys were you allowed back then? How many yotes did the state have back then? Let me know when the cycle comes back around. My money is on if it’s not managed better it’s not gonna get better just way to much predation my options. 

9 minutes ago, smittty said:

Yup we sure did what year was that again? And how many turkeys were you allowed back then? How many yotes did the state have back then? Let me know when the cycle comes back around. My money is on if it’s not managed better it’s not gonna get better just way to much predation my options. 

Biology 101 predators and prey will always find a balance