IGNORED

Where to start with a crossbow?

shepherdspie

A buddy of mine keeps asking me to jump in and hunt with a bow, but i am so out of practice from 15 years ago the last time I shot a bow and I feel like the practice and time available might not jive right now. Someone else suggested going with a crossbow and it being similar to a shotgun (for accuracy and distance sake). Anyone want to point me in a direction to start with one? I really have ZERO clue. Google helps, but still, shot in the dark.

Modern crossbows can be very complicated and will lead to failures if things are not done exactly as needed. If you can't get an experienced person to help you try a good sport shop that sells and repairs crossbows that also has a range. 

Buy the crossbow there and ask for help in the operation of it. 

Edited by archer36

A lot of people here have a lot of knowledge to help you get the best bang for your buck. Along with their knowledge I recommend a shop that has a range you can shoot a few different ones. And make sure the shop services the crossbow. Will tune proper and strings if needed. There are many shops that will sell you stuff and few shops that will sell, set up, adjust and tune. I recommend the few shop method. 

Good luck on your adventure. 

Where are you located so some people could recommend some shops?

Edited by Ron

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

Many different types, features and price range. Best I can say is don’t go cheap. You don’t have to go top of the line and spend huge dollars but midrange or better will give you less issues and a better shooting experience. I started with a Parker Tornado and advance to a Tenpoint Stealth NXT. Wish I went with the Tenpoint from the start but hindsight is 20/20. If you can try one before buying, great. If not check how it balances, that and a good trigger are the most important things to accurate shooting offhand

AWM

11 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Many different types, features and price range. Best I can say is don’t go cheap. You don’t have to go top of the line and spend huge dollars but midrange or better will give you less issues and a better shooting experience. I started with a Parker Tornado and advance to a Tenpoint Stealth NXT. Wish I went with the Tenpoint from the start but hindsight is 20/20. If you can try one before buying, great. If not check how it balances, that and a good trigger are the most important things to accurate shooting offhand

Good point to stay w tried n true companies…..

when this stuff first started out….I was days away from “pulling the trigger” on a Barnett….but a pal at work bought one and it blew up within days of practicing with it. Somehow and luckily I was introduced to the recurve technology of Excalibur….I think it was their archery TV show n he was shooting safari animals in Africa …& I been a Medieval guy ever since. 

fast forward 12 yrs or so and my rich pal buys the super deluxe ten point w all the bells n whistles n extreme narrow front….spent the first month in the shop getting something fixed….missed first month of season. Ugh

Edited by Bonefreak

12 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

So guessing your NXT balances good , cause the triggers  really suck . .

I keep looking at the  vengent 440 , liked way it felt in hand . But after shooting a trigger tech trigger everything else feels horrible .

want a bow I can Decock without shooting it causing excessive string wear .

But going to hold out until 10 point  comes out with a great trigger .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/