IGNORED

Where to start with a crossbow?

shepherdspie

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

So guessing your NXT balances good , cause the triggers  really suck . .

I keep looking at the  vengent 440 , liked way it felt in hand . But after shooting a trigger tech trigger everything else feels horrible .

want a bow I can Decock without shooting it causing excessive string wear .

But going to hold out until 10 point  comes out with a great trigger .

I have no issue with the trigger, breaks perfect. But I have a lot of experience shooting rifles and xbows offhand accurately. Some don’t and anything but a trigger that breaks like an ice sickle shows there flaws so I understand 

AWM

1 hour ago, Bonefreak said:

Good point to stay w tried n true companies…..

when this stuff first started out….I was days away from “pulling the trigger” on a Barnett….but a pal at work bought one and it blew up within days of practicing with it. Somehow and luckily I was introduced to the recurve technology of Excalibur….I think it was their archery TV show n he was shooting safari animals in Africa …& I been a Medieval guy ever since. 

fast forward 12 yrs or so and my rich pal buys the super deluxe ten point w all the bells n whistles n extreme narrow front….spent the first month in the shop getting something fixed….missed first month of season. Ugh

Excalibur are great xbows, I’ve shot a couple. I just don’t like the width, anything past 90 degrees in a tree becomes an issue. Otherwise you can’t beat the simplicity 

AWM

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

So guessing your NXT balances good , cause the triggers  really suck . .

I keep looking at the  vengent 440 , liked way it felt in hand . But after shooting a trigger tech trigger everything else feels horrible .

want a bow I can Decock without shooting it causing excessive string wear .

But going to hold out until 10 point  comes out with a great trigger .

Depends Dan. It came out in 2018 with the first trigger. It was improved in 2019. When I bought mine I emailed TP and they confirmed mine was manufactured in 2019 and had the improved T5 trigger. 

In 2018 it was considered one of the  best crossbows of the year, even with the sucky trigger. 

I have owned 8 crossbows, mostly TenPoint and never thought any triggers were bad. I shot my friends CP400 and saw what a shitty trigger really is. 

Edited by archer36

I bought my son a Barnett TS380 when he started hunting last year.  Sometimes I borrow it, and for the money it's a great crossbow. Extremely accurate, nice trigger, and it's small and fairly light. The scope it comes with isn't great, but as I said it shoots great. It's also easy to cock and takes a beating. We didn't get the decocking device. 380fps is plenty of speed where we hunt.  I like it better than a lot of the TPs I've tried. Easily adjustable stock is good if you're tall. 

I also saw that their Barnett Whitetail Pro STR Crossbow is on sale at Amazon for $461.  Reviews suggest it has a lot of the qualities of the TS380.

I know Barnetts are not sexy crossbows, and my experience with high end models from any company is limited. I'm not a Ravin guy, by any means. But we take a lot of deer under varied conditions with them and they've never let us down. 

1 hour ago, MGHunter66 said:

I have no issue with the trigger, breaks perfect. But I have a lot of experience shooting rifles and xbows offhand accurately. Some don’t and anything but a trigger that breaks like an ice sickle shows there flaws so I understand 

After shooting a 1.5 pound trigger , where you can actually catch the flight of  the bolt on shot in the scope  , shooting a 3.5 pound (that on many of their xbows is closer to 5 # ) is a huge difference .

Not only about how a trigger breaks , it’s the pressure getting to the break that can add or detract from their accuracy .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, archer36 said:

Depends Dan. It came out in 2018 with the first trigger. It was improved in 2019. When I bought mine I emailed TP and they confirmed mine was manufactured in 2019 and had the improved T5 trigger. 

In 2018 it was considered one of the  best crossbows of the year, even with the sucky trigger. 

I have owned 8 crossbows, mostly TenPoint and never thought any triggers were bad. I shot my friends CP400 and saw what a shitty trigger really is. 

That’s what you have become used to .(so feels normal ) 

After you shoot a xbow with a good trigger you see the difference is huge .

For the money all manufacturers are selling mid range to high priced xbows some better design should make it to the trigger .

If Scorpyd, mission , trigger tech etc can make good triggers im sure ten point will also at some point ..

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

After shooting a 1.5 pound trigger , where you can actually catch the flight of  the bolt on shot in the scope  , shooting a 3.5 pound (that on many of their xbows is closer to 5 # ) is a huge difference .

Not only about how a trigger breaks , it’s the pressure getting to the break that can add or detract from their accuracy .

Actually you’re mixing shot anticipation up with trigger pull, take up and creep. When you learn to shoot anything trigger wise properly you settle and pullthrough a shot with no anticipation. If take up on any trigger is consistent and has a wall before break the lbs required for the shot to go off is irrelevant if under 5lbs. If it is not consistent and varies during take up then problems begin. Sure if someone doesn’t practice with a particular weapon much and anticipates the shot any movement creates a form of target panic similar to a release aid with a bow. Some of my rifles have the best worked triggers there are but the sequence and pull through on the shot is executed in the same manner wether creep is present or not. To a new shooter a light trigger will shoot more accurate at first while it’s still a surprise, but once they’ve shot a couple times they’ll start to anticipate, be afraid to touch the trigger and have accuracy issues. Proper sequence is key to good shooting not just a light trigger, furthermore thumb position on the stock has more to do with movement on a heavy trigger than anything else

Edited by MGHunter66

AWM

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

That’s what you have become used to .(so feels normal ) 

After you shoot a xbow with a good trigger you see the difference is huge .

For the money all manufacturers are selling mid range to high priced xbows some better design should make it to the trigger .

If Scorpyd, mission , trigger tech etc can make good triggers im sure ten point will also at some point ..

It hasn't effected their success. Scorpyd and Mission can't compare with TenPoint's sales. Doesn't seem logical people would pay thousands of $$$$ for an inferior bow. 

21 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Actually you’re mixing shot anticipation up with trigger pull, take up and creep. When you learn to shoot anything trigger wise properly you settle and pullthrough a shot with no anticipation. If take up on any trigger is consistent and has a wall before break the lbs required for the shot to go off is irrelevant if under 5lbs. If it is not consistent and varies during take up then problems begin. Sure if someone doesn’t practice with a particular weapon much and anticipates the shot any movement creates a form of target panic similar to a release aid with a bow. Some of my rifles have the best worked triggers there are but the sequence and pull through on the shot is executed in the same manner wether creep is present or not. To a new shooter a light trigger will shoot more accurate at first while it’s still a surprise, but once they’ve shot a couple times they’ll start to anticipate, be afraid to touch the trigger and have accuracy issues. Proper sequence is key to good shooting not just a light trigger, furthermore thumb position on the stock has more to do with movement on a heavy trigger than anything else

IMO. Due to a crossbow not having a guy anticipating recoil as with a gun it’s less prevalent .

guys shooting vertical bows that get target panic start jumping on a release because they aren’t solid on  the target .

a guy shooting offhand with the xbow could get that feeling , but off a rest of any kind more than likely that’s not happening .

movement of any type is caused by pressure, less pressure less movement ..

many target archers shoot releases so light others can’t even rest their fingers on them .

those knowing how to shoot a slow deliberate squeeze , finger turn white on that same button .

‘and take just as long to complete a shot .

it’s not based on how quickly the shot is taken , it’s how effortlessly it is to complete 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

25 minutes ago, archer36 said:

It hasn't effected their success. Scorpyd and Mission can't compare with TenPoint's sales. Doesn't seem logical people would pay thousands of $$$$ for an inferior bow. 

Many good parts in the ten point design . Guys are paying the money for that .

they aren’t paying  big bucks because they have a good trigger .

compact design, good balance points , speed , decock etc are all great selling points .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

2 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

IMO. Due to a crossbow not having a guy anticipating recoil as with a gun it’s less prevalent .

guys shooting vertical bows that get target panic start jumping on a release because they aren’t solid on  the target .

a guy shooting offhand with the xbow could get that feeling , but off a rest of any kind more than likely that’s not happening .

movement of any type is caused by pressure, less pressure less movement ..

many target archers shoot releases so light others can’t even rest their fingers on them .

those knowing how to shoot a slow deliberate squeeze , finger turn white on that same button .

‘and take just as long to complete a shot .

it’s not based on how quickly the shot is taken , it’s how effortlessly it is to complete 

We’ll simply have to agree to disagree to a point. I’ve seen more anticipation caused by too light of trigger and an inconsistent creep than anything else. To shoot any trigger consistently and accurately you must first be able to apply pressure to the trigger without the weapon going off, then settle on the shot snd proceed with a consistent pull until the trigger fires. 2.5lbs-3.5lbs is the standard to be able to do this

AWM

3 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Repetition

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

8 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Many good parts in the ten point design . Guys are paying the money for that .

they aren’t paying  big bucks because they have a good trigger .

compact design, good balance points , speed , decock etc are all great selling points .

So I guess a " great" trigger is not high on the list. Guys getting lights out accuracy at long distances. What else can you ask for. 

Maybe I'm not as fussy as other people. As I said, owned 8 bows and never noticed a " bad" trigger. 

Edited by archer36