IGNORED

easy, early morning 2-man limit of geese (i.e. 2 birds :)

mazzgolf

Well, I still hate the 1-bird bag limit, but I can't stop hunting geese. It's just too awesome to watch the birds glide down, cup and commit to a spread.

Invited @rem870hunter1 to the farm this morning. First tried to entice some ducks to a flooded part of the field at shooting light, but no birds to be seen or heard. So we walked over to our spread of 3 dozen silos at about 7:20. About 10 minutes later... done. :)

I didn't even let out a single goose call. Out of nowhere, we had about a half-dozen birds float in from our right - first time I saw them, they were already starting their descent. Wings cupped, wheels down... bang, bang... 2 shots, 2 kills. I love it when they just come in like that... on a mission and on a string right into the decoys. Sucks with the 1-bird limit, the morning just had that feel of a potential epic day of goose hunting with the clouds, winds, and incoming rain. As it is, we just packed up and left - no sense getting wet and miserable in the coming rains if we can't take any more. Still was a lot of fun.

2022-12-23-goose.jpg.84889004645989ea504557981d988c7e.jpg

If I didn't have access to this close-by farm field that produces geese, I wouldn't hunt geese nearly as much. This place is 5 minutes from my house, and always has tons of geese here and in nearby fields.

Unfortunately, developers have their hooks in this place and within 1 to 2 years, I most likely will be losing access - gonna be apartments, single-family homes, and low-income housing on the 3 main farm fields in this area.

34 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

Not worth setting up in my opinion. 

Ever since I moved to silos-only, that has never been an issue for me. The time it took me to setup the 3 dozen silos this morning was maybe 10 minutes. Takes less time packing them up. So easy setting them up. And I can carry all of them in a single bag. If I want a bigger spread, I take out 5 dozen and can still carry them in a single Dive Bomb bag .. setting up that extra 2 dozen takes another 5 or so minutes.

For me, silos is the way to go. Quick setup and teardown, and I have had a lot of success with them. I don't even bother taking out my full bodies or even shells anymore. Only time I take them is if the ground is so frozen that I can't push the silos' stakes in the ground.

9 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Ever since I moved to silos-only, that has never been an issue for me. The time it took me to setup the 3 dozen silos this morning was maybe 10 minutes. Takes less time packing them up. So easy setting them up. And I can carry all of them in a single bag. If I want a bigger spread, I take out 5 dozen and can still carry them in a single Dive Bomb bag .. setting up that extra 2 dozen takes another 5 or so minutes.

For me, silos is the way to go. Quick setup and teardown, and I have had a lot of success with them. I don't even bother taking out my full bodies or even shells anymore. Only time I take them is if the ground is so frozen that I can't push the silos' stakes in the ground.

That makes it much easier. I started out with a dozen Real Geese silos years ago. Still use them and mix them in with my shells and full bodies. Silos are definitely the way to go for easy setups. 

Get a long paddle type drill bit and cordless drill for the silo stakes when the ground is frozen. 

Edited by Devil Horns

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

5 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Bring a cordless drill and make holes

THANK YOU!! @mazzgolf👍👍😁🤗,laying in bed last night as i watched YouTube videos on Archery stuff. I thought i'd go bowhunting for a few hours this morning then your text came in 😁.  Asked wife if i could go goose and duck hunting she said yes 🤣.

On the way home i thought..hmm i wonder if i can use goose feathers for arrow fletching?? 🤔🤔

Google searches said yes so Trad guys be ready for input,i'll be posting about making arrows