IGNORED

Hunting State Parks question

birdshotnj

31 minutes ago, birdshotnj said:

Question to those who hunt our NJ state parks. Are you allowed to walk down designated hiking trails with your weapon? I called the state park I'm looking to hunt and asked, but couldn't get a straight answer. Thank you in advance

Yes

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I remember hunting Wharton once. Had my long gun shouldered with my sling as I walked past a couple riders on horses. One of the riders said (I don't think kiddingly, maybe half-kiddingly) "don't shoot us".  I just laughed and said "don't worry" and kept walking. :) 

Same thing happens to me occasionally.  Just keep the action open and gun unloaded when walking in and out on the trails. If someone gets uptight you can honestly tell them gun is not loaded. 

PS - on occasion I’ve had hikers and bikers tell me where they see squirrels or bears - LOL 

20 minutes ago, Shakyjake said:

Yes. Only restriction is publicly traveled roadways. 

You mean roadways are restricted as far as being loaded correct? I can walk across a roadway with my firearm unloaded though? I agree with others, I plan on keeping gun unloaded when walking on trails just out of courtesy/safety.

11 hours ago, birdshotnj said:

You mean roadways are restricted as far as being loaded correct? I can walk across a roadway with my firearm unloaded though? I agree with others, I plan on keeping gun unloaded when walking on trails just out of courtesy/safety.

I think you have to be 50ft from a road before having a loaded gun

6 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Gun can't be loaded in a Safety Zone. Just have to follow all Fish and Wildlife Regulations

https://nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/hunting/

Edited by Bucndoe

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

17 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I remember hunting Wharton once. Had my long gun shouldered with my sling as I walked past a couple riders on horses. One of the riders said (I don't think kiddingly, maybe half-kiddingly) "don't shoot us".  I just laughed and said "don't worry" and kept walking. :) 

" don't shoot us ", should have said, only if i want to

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I have never seen that anywhere - in the statutes or digest. There isn't any distance you have to be from a road that I'm aware of. What you CANNOT do is shoot across a road. That's mentioned in a bunch of places. But as long as you aren't shooting across a road and you aren't in a safety zone, you can be there with a loaded gun.

Also, I don't think that "thou shalt not shoot across a road" thing deals with dirt hiking trails that go through the woods. But I honestly don't know what constitutes a "road" and what doesn't when it comes to not being allowed to shoot across one. If I see a dirt road through a WMA or state forest that I know a car or truck can drive on, I make sure I don't shoot across that just to be sure. But I have no problems walking besides or on that road with a loaded gun.

58 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I have never seen that anywhere - in the statutes or digest. There isn't any distance you have to be from a road that I'm aware of. What you CANNOT do is shoot across a road. That's mentioned in a bunch of places. But as long as you aren't shooting across a road and you aren't in a safety zone, you can be there with a loaded gun.

Also, I don't think that "thou shalt not shoot across a road" thing deals with dirt hiking trails that go through the woods. But I honestly don't know what constitutes a "road" and what doesn't when it comes to not being allowed to shoot across one. If I see a dirt road through a WMA or state forest that I know a car or truck can drive on, I make sure I don't shoot across that just to be sure. But I have no problems walking besides or on that road with a loaded gun.

Stop trying to split the atom, again. A hiking trail is not a road

Edited by Bucndoe