IGNORED

How many mature bucks u kill with rattle or grunt?

JHbowhunter

Rattled and grunted in a lot of bucks back in the 80's and 90's when there was a lot of competition between bucks.  Rattled in 6 out of a swamp in 5 hours one morning, all passing 20- 30 yards away, none giving me a shot.  Rattled 2 out of a marsh together.  They both stood behind cedars 10yds away for an hour.  When it got dark all I saw was shadows walk past me. Could draw the second buck that was following behind another one on the trail of a hot doe with just a grunt. 

Shot quite a few, but many would hang up and not come into the open for a shot.  Rattled and grunted in my PB. Watched him come in quickly through a cut cornfield in low lying fog, then jumped into a 50' wide patch of thick green briers trying to come straight in.  He got caught up in it and backed out to walk around it.  Gave me a 5yd shot

One doe bleat and one grunt brought my target buck over the hill in PA right to me.  He was grunting over 100yds away where I couldn't see him.  He came in on a string, then turned and went behind the tree I was in.  Stood broadside in the wide open at 5yds.  First year using the crossbow and realized I couldn't shoot around the tree.  Watched him walk away.

Had 2 bucks come off a hill and stand out front to either side of me.  One would grunt, and then the other, and then I would grunt.  That went on for the last hour of daylight.  Both were about 30yds away and neither would show themself in the marsh.  After dark I was sneaking out between them when a buck that sounded like a horse coming down off the hill blew by me with only a stonewall between us and slammed into the buck next to me.  I only saw a shadow and felt the breeze, then got the heck out of there quickly when the fight started.

Don't do it much now when hunting on the ground.  Don't want them coming in on high alert and looking right at me

28 minutes ago, the truth said:

Grunted in 3 mature bucks, rattled in 2. Only one of them was in NJ and I got him with some grunting and a couple doe bleats. I’ve called many more bucks in. I’m only counting mature bucks that it actually worked and I killed 

Ohio and Illinois so much more effective on mature bucks IMHO. But Ohio bucks always managed to get down wind and down ravine on me before I could shoot. But definitely got them running in.  

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2000 on the morning of Nov 5. I had a huge 8 running does down up and then back down a big hardwood hill in ny state.  

15 min after I saw him run back down he was now walking up by himself. About 75 yds away

i blew at him when he was walking.  He stopped but looked straight. I blow now louder. With that he swung his head toward me and ran straight to me   Stopped 9 yds behind my tree. Thankfully I had the tube on a lynard and the bow in my hand with a wrist strap. 

I drew as he was still running. When he stopped I hit the release. Arrow was perfect lung hit. He turned 90 degrees right and ran down the hill. He made it about 55 yds.  I saw him drop 

dressed at 182.  Gross was 124 and 4/8s

at Least 3 and a half years old

Their were 2 other small scrubs I saw that am and the does fawns

i think she gave him the slip in the valley and he headed back up the hill

when he heard the grunt I believe he thought I was one of the other scrubs that was trying to steal his girL and charged over 

That was the only big deer I had come in to even look.  Thinking back had 3 or so small deer come in walking and grunting and looking 

funny story about grunting   Hmmm 35 years ago in ny. Rainly damp humid opening day of rifle

only had taken 1 deer In my hunting career at this point.  So  I’m sitting on the ground in a blow down in pines

i hear deer moving in the twilight. I see a deer go by grunting but it’s still not legal time

about 15 min later I got fog rolling in and out. Then I hear it grunting again  I catch a glimpse of the deer walking but no shot.  Few min later it turns and comes back walking and grunting   It’s stops in my shooting lane  I got it in the scope but can’t see the head  it grunts so I decide to shoot   Deer drops   I walk over   One bean was broke at the base other beam was a 3 1/2 in spike   

Things we learned from. 

I’ve been finding if I see one walking far away I can get their attention with a grunt. They’ll stop but not change course. One snort wheeze and I can get them most times to swing directions and come straight in my direction. I’ve had a few mature bucks beeline right in my direction. What has happened after that leaves a little to be desired. 🤣🤣 
I had a solid shooter on public last year turn from 80 yards beeline in my direction. Happened so fast I couldn’t get my range finder up to get a quick range. I shot right under him. I guessed much closer than he was (37 yards) I thought a little more than 25. Terrible rookie mistake. 

Rattling only a couple. One in Illinois was 250 yards in a corn field. I rattled and he came running to 5 yards of the tree. Amazing how they pin point where the sound came from. Shot him with the bow and he made it back to the field and 80 yards into it a died. 

Grunt call a couple mature bucks and a ton of smaller ones. I mainly only call when I see one out off range and I can watch their reaction to the call.

Snort wheeze a couple mature ones but only when I can watch their reaction.