IGNORED

Serious fluke question

JHbowhunter

I only fish back bay. For me personally, I'll probably toss an 18-19 early. Look for a 20"+ to box. If I don't, so be it. I'll take my two others and still have a meal. If I have two keepers already and am looking for an 18+, whatever is legal and will send me off to go home for the day will get boxed. 

A lot depends on where your fishing . 

hopefully the petition does something , as much of the rides into the New York waters will be a waste now .

once you catch one NY legal fluke your done .

if fishing locally it will only make sense to go try to catch a decent fish , then go fish skinny water to catch the dinks .

going to be a lot less weight to the fillet bag if the current regs stick .

And the smaller fish taste better is bullshit . I eat ALOT of fish .

bled , iced fish are all good .

only time I like a smaller fillets  is when we fry fluke , for many of the other recipes we make, the smaller fillets don’t hold up .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

6 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

A lot depends on where your fishing . 

hopefully the petition does something , as much of the rides into the New York waters will be a waste now .

once you catch one NY legal fluke your done .

if fishing locally it will only make sense to go try to catch a decent fish , then go fish skinny water to catch the dinks .

going to be a lot less weight to the fillet bag if the current regs stick .

And the smaller fish taste better is bullshit . I eat ALOT of fish .

bled , iced fish are all good .

only time I like a smaller fillets  is when we fry fluke , for many of the other recipes we make, the smaller fillets don’t hold up .

But realistically under old regs you were tossing back 18-23” fluke some days so your 3 fish limit was a 24” a 25” and a 26”.  Looks great in pics but replace that pic with a 17” male. A 17.25” male and a 26” - better for the resource - no? You still got a good fish and two males (hopefully but not guaranteed).  Isn’t that the spirit of the new regs? 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

13 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

But realistically under old regs you were tossing back 18-23” fluke some days so your 3 fish limit was a 24” a 25” and a 26”.  Looks great in pics but replace that pic with a 17” male. A 17.25” male and a 26” - better for the resource - no? You still got a good fish and two males (hopefully but not guaranteed).  Isn’t that the spirit of the new regs? 

IF it was strictly a recreational fishery , and us releasing fish would benifit the fishery yes .

problem is 

#1 where we fish the amount of fish we will be throwing back is going to give us a ridiculous poundage of mortality discards .

#2 they over doubled the commercial quota during our most productive part of the season .

so all those fish we aren’t targeting will be in a net .

the fishery is supposed to be a fair share of the fishery .

all recreational fisherman targeting 66 % of their allowable catch from 1 year of age class out of the available 12-13 years is not a fair equitable share .

And we gave up all those fish from 18-over 30” to keep some fish under 17 1/2” 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Dan tell him what happens if we don’t reach are allocated number and keep in mind the same number has been there for years and  it is a 60/40 split 60 being commercial witch we know to be true numbers. You must tell the whole story not just part 

1 minute ago, smittty said:

Dan tell him what happens if we don’t reach are allocated number and keep in mind the same number has been there for years and  it is a 60/40 split 60 being commercial witch we know to be true numbers. You must tell the whole story not just part 

Everyone loses if your quota isn’t met . Because IF quotas aren’t met they take them away thinking the resource can’t take the pressure .

so at current regs if we got a cut back , the fish we lost this year will only be the start of another cut .

15 years ago we could have kept 8 fluke per trip , now we’re down to 2 dinks and a keeper .

so just basing it on 4 pounders , our fillet bag went from approx 16 pounds a trip 3 pounds .

while the quota has been the same yearly , it’s going to be different this year as the commercial catch was more limited when fish were available to regs during the summer . This summer going to be a free for all. 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

@JHbowhunter, here is the approx chart of the available fluke fishery so you see years of age class fish .

females are normally the high end of what’s shown , followed by males being a half inch to an inch less per given year .

so you can see current regs will be targeting mostly 3 year old fish .

E3263600-450D-40DC-BBB5-DD231F78A62D.png

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

5 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Everyone loses if your quota isn’t met . Because IF quotas aren’t met they take them away thinking the resource can’t take the pressure .

so at current regs if we got a cut back , the fish we lost this year will only be the start of another cut .

15 years ago we could have kept 8 fluke per trip , now we’re down to 2 dinks and a keeper .

so just basing it on 4 pounders , our fillet bag went from approx 16 pounds a trip 3 pounds .

while the quota has been the same yearly , it’s going to be different this year as the commercial catch was more limited when fish were available to regs during the summer . This summer going to be a free for all. 

One mistake dan there is no IFQ”S for fluke the number was allocated by NMFS for the whole state. Bottom line is if that number doesn’t get meet we will all get beat up next year so let’s keep our fingers crossed and that the trawlers land some fish in nj  reather then go to nc with them or chase squid or 30.00 scallop 

1 minute ago, smittty said:

One mistake dan there is no IFQ”S for fluke the number was allocated by NMFS for the whole state. Bottom line is if that number doesn’t get meet we will all get beat up next year so let’s keep our fingers crossed and that the trawlers land some fish in nj  reather then go to nc with them or chase squid or 30.00 scallop 

What years did the numbers not get met?

AWM

14 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

@JHbowhunter, here is the approx chart of the available fluke fishery so you see years of age class fish .

females are normally the high end of what’s shown , followed by males being a half inch to an inch less per given year .

so you can see current regs will be targeting mostly 3 year old fish .

E3263600-450D-40DC-BBB5-DD231F78A62D.png

So in the regs thread you posed 17 1/2- 19. So via this chart how drastically different is that as far as age class targeted. It doesn’t seem very different 

AWM

1 minute ago, MGHunter66 said:

What years did the numbers not get met?

Every year they get meet thanks to the state when they see we are falling behind what the do is up the weekly a daily limits to try to get guys to work on them. That’s what’s going on now it’s also happening in other states. The big boats can’t target 1.000 pounds of  2.00 fluke 80 miles offshore when the fuel is over 4.00