IGNORED

Neighbor's Dogs Went After My Wife & Puppy

BHC

20 minutes ago, OldMenRule said:

Dogs are a lot of work for sure. We are pondering a new dog, most likely a rescue. But explaining to my family the responsibilities and  difficulties is exhausting. We have a dog that came with my Mother-in-Law when she moved in years ago. She is a smart, well trained pup with one flaw that being she has decided that I'm the main one in the family she wants to bond with and she hates my children.  Been this way for 12 years and she is not gonna change. 

My wife figures a new dog would be the best thing for all. I'm not so sure.

To me, that sound like a textbook case of resource guarding.  The dog doesn't think you're the main man...she thinks that she owns you and therefore must protect you from anyone or anything she deems a problem.  I see this situation frequently too. 

8 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Sorry to hear about your wife. Dogs can snap just like humans. Back around 1990 my neighbor had a couple dogs. They 7 years old and one of the dogs tried to kill the other one despite living together all those years. 

I also had two neighbors with "friendly" dogs. As they chatted one dog literally lunged at other dog and bite off part of the dogs ear off.

Most people just haven't idea how important it is for a well trained animal. Many think their dog is fully trained because the dog sits on command in home. 

Dogs don't typically "snap."  Usually there are plenty of telltale signs that the owners either don't see or ignore when they do see them.  The worst part is that usually the dog that "snaps" is the good dog and it's the other dog or person in the situation that is the antagonist.  

12 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

If it went to court it'll be on record. Contact the prosecutor. If you file charges strike two the judge could have the dog put down. Peace of mind for your wife.., hope she feels better!

I hate to see dogs put down because their owners are idiots.  

59 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

To me, that sound like a textbook case of resource guarding.  The dog doesn't think you're the main man...she thinks that she owns you and therefore must protect you from anyone or anything she deems a problem.  I see this situation frequently too. 

Dogs don't typically "snap."  Usually there are plenty of telltale signs that the owners either don't see or ignore when they do see them.  The worst part is that usually the dog that "snaps" is the good dog and it's the other dog or person in the situation that is the antagonist.  

I hate to see dogs put down because their owners are idiots.  

When I think about I believe your correct. She does own me. Tells me when to pet her, when to play. I guess I should wear the collar.... 

21 minutes ago, OldMenRule said:

When I think about I believe your correct. She does own me. Tells me when to pet her, when to play. I guess I should wear the collar.... 

Sounds like it.  Demanding attention, affection, claiming you, feeling the need to protect you and keep others away, etc.  That's resource guarding.  No different than a dog doing that with it's food or a toy.  Definitely problematic and could be very dangerous depending on the situation.  

13 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Sounds like it.  Demanding attention, affection, claiming you, feeling the need to protect you and keep others away, etc.  That's resource guarding.  No different than a dog doing that with it's food or a toy.  Definitely problematic and could be very dangerous depending on the situation.  

Get a cat.lol

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 hours ago, BHC said:

My wife and I don't see it as the dog's fault, but the owners fault. We just want them to apologize,  nothing more

It's always nice to be nice, until someone gets injured, i would want more than an apology, they must agree gate will stay closed and this will never happen again, or you have no choice but to take a different avenue, your call

I would not speak to the dog owners but would lawyer up and let the police speak to the owners of the aggressive dog.  If I seen it happening I would have taken care of the dog for good. Dog owners have a responsibility to control their animals and neighbors have a right to protect themselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

On 4/13/2022 at 9:40 AM, BHC said:

Hence one reason we don't want to pursue it

DON'T LET IT GO!  Next time it might  critically hurt someone !

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

2 hours ago, Boykin Runner said:

My Opinon ....F- pitbulls . I stay away when I see them to unpredictable .

Pits and pit mixes aren't bad dogs.  No such thing as a bad breed of dogs.  Just idiot owners.  I've been around a ton of dogs and can legitimately say I've only seen 1 truly aggressive dog.  I think the dog was actually mentally ill.  It was actually frightening.  The rest that I see are just a product of bad owners

1 hour ago, bushden said:

I would not speak to the dog owners but would lawyer up and let the police speak to the owners of the aggressive dog.  If I seen it happening I would have taken care of the dog for good. Dog owners have a responsibility to control their animals and neighbors have a right to protect themselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mentioned that earlier.  This isn't the dog's fault and I hate to see the animal be harmed or killed because the owners are idiots.  I'm with you, but I can see the other side as well

1 hour ago, bushden said:

DON'T LET IT GO!  Next time it might  critically someone !

I agree with that a bit.  The ignorant owners are playing with fire.  If they can't or won't train and control their animal,  then the next time it could be a lot worse