IGNORED

Paulinskill trout

mike033089

Living in the area of Blairstown near the  river now for a few years and getting back into trout fishing this year. Hoping to get out Sunday if the rivers not too high with the rain.  Will hit some spots from Blairstown to Stillwater doing some exploring.  From all the stocking signs seems they stock at a lot of spots.  Curious to the depth of the majority of this stretch of river.  Should I be expecting chest or hip waders during normal flows and what’s the average depth and bottom quality of the river?  Stone/mud/ dangerous sinking mud, etc.   Thank you in advanced. 

I followed the stocking truck today, on the Paulinskill in Blairstown.In a quarter mile stretch with maybe six signs they only put trout in at one of them but they put in six nets or more.  It was down pouring rain so I think they were just trying to get out of there, plus the river is really high so they should spread out.  It depends some areas are rocky others are muddy so be careful.   You can fish most spots with hip boots, of course waders are nice in spots, depends. Good luck.

Yes it will be high most water is deep. There's a lot of smaller streams in the area. I used to fish jacksonburg Creek it crosses route 94 on the outskirts of blairstown upstream it has a small pond.

https://www.anyplaceamerica.com/directory/nj/warren-county-34041/streams/

IMG_20220407_142212203.jpg

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

4 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Yes it will be high most water is deep. There's a lot of smaller streams in the area. I used to fish jacksonburg Creek it crosses route 94 on the outskirts of blairstown upstream it has a small pond.

https://www.anyplaceamerica.com/directory/nj/warren-county-34041/streams/

IMG_20220407_142212203.jpg

The stream is still there but that little pond got destroyed by a flood, it’s a mess there now. Not saying you can’t still fish it but that nice fishing hole is gone.

Thanks. Me and a buddy will do some exploring since it’s been a few years since we got out for trout with work, kids, new homes etc.  will be a good day regardless fish caught or not.  If rivers too high may just hit the banks of foot bridge park to start and go from there.  Better to fish than not fish at all.  I’ve also heard that the river holds some small mouth through out town. My favorite to fish for and now that I actually live near some small mouth I’m excited. Won’t come close to Wheaton’s lodge in Maine on the Canadian border I’m sure but nothing like a nice size smallie fighting. 

When the Paulina Lake dam is removed soon, trout habitat will greatly increase.  We should see 3-5 degree lower water temps right away which should be enough to holdover trout all the way to the big D.  And anglers will see striped bass and American shad above the current dam for the first time in ??? years.  Probably 200 or more is my guess.    

8 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

Thanks. Me and a buddy will do some exploring since it’s been a few years since we got out for trout with work, kids, new homes etc.  will be a good day regardless fish caught or not.  If rivers too high may just hit the banks of foot bridge park to start and go from there.  Better to fish than not fish at all.  I’ve also heard that the river holds some small mouth through out town. My favorite to fish for and now that I actually live near some small mouth I’m excited. Won’t come close to Wheaton’s lodge in Maine on the Canadian border I’m sure but nothing like a nice size smallie fighting. 

Some real nice Smallies in the Delaware not far from you also

Edited by Nomad

also heard that the river holds some small mouth through out town. My favorite to fish for and now that I actually live near some small mouth I’m excited. 

Like nomad said, the Delaware 👍 I used to bang them in the summer months from the shoreline at the dingmans bridge. 3" floating and countdown rapala silver minnows. Kittatinny canoe rentals float fishing up River is fun also bring an anchor.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I would fish shorelines Saturday and from the shore. I duck hunted the Kill this year and almost needed a crane to get me out of the muck.. Also the trees you can't see in the Kill are everywhere.. Not worth it for a 10inch stocked trout.. If you must, Id fish the Veterans Park in Stillwater or the outflow of Swartswood Lake. The dam slows the water down considerably and its all rocks and smooth sand for those few miles. Lots of Walleyes will be caught in that section this time of the year but remember they are off limits and cannot be targeted. Good Luck:up:.

6 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

When the Paulina Lake dam is removed soon, trout habitat will greatly increase.  We should see 3-5 degree lower water temps right away which should be enough to holdover trout all the way to the big D.  And anglers will see striped bass and American shad above the current dam for the first time in ??? years.  Probably 200 or more is my guess.    

And no one is concerned with the invasives making their way up the river? Every time a dam is removed they continue their destructive ways. 

8 hours ago, Shakyjake said:

And no one is concerned with the invasives making their way up the river? Every time a dam is removed they continue their destructive ways. 

The benefits far outweigh any risks...........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

9 hours ago, Shakyjake said:

Worried?  Somewhat, but not nearly so much as excited to see native fish return. What river and species are you referring to?  I’m not aware of any invasive species issues we’ve had in NJ based on dam removals. 

15 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Worried?  Somewhat, but not nearly so much as excited to see native fish return. What river and species are you referring to?  I’m not aware of any invasive species issues we’ve had in NJ based on dam removals. 

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/aquatic_invasives.htm#:~:text=Snakeheads have recently been found,and some of its tributaries.&text=The introduction of invasive aquatic,economy of a lake community.