IGNORED

Paulinskill trout

mike033089

17 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Worried?  Somewhat, but not nearly so much as excited to see native fish return. What river and species are you referring to?  I’m not aware of any invasive species issues we’ve had in NJ based on dam removals. 

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy catching snake head in the paulinskill. 

9 hours ago, Shakyjake said:

And no one is concerned with the invasives making their way up the river? Every time a dam is removed they continue their destructive ways. 

Interesting, I know first hand that dam removal benefits far outweigh the risks but would be interested to hear your thought process as to “destructive ways”. Removing the Roberts Street Dam in Bridgewater was very beneficial, oxygen sampling above the dam showed minimal oxygen and aquatic life due to the lack of flow and stagnation. Shortly after removal aquatic life flourished and Egrets frequented. Egrets showing in an area a great indicator as to cleaner more sustainable environment. Btw most of the dams were built for some erroneous reasons many moons ago without compliance and or thought. Bud Duke, originator of Dukes Estate built the dam in Raritan for no other reason than his own properties benefit(hydro-electric) and the Calico dam near Bound Brook was built as a more efficient  way to pollute (helped disperse dyes and toxins in the river quicker). With each dam removal I’ve seen the benefits have outweighed the risk but would be interested to hear your angle.

AWM

53 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Worried?  Somewhat, but not nearly so much as excited to see native fish return. What river and species are you referring to?  I’m not aware of any invasive species issues we’ve had in NJ based on dam removals. 

I’m taking about the snakeheads in the Kill. The flatheads or any other “potentially dangerous fish” as listed by fish and game. Just like the ones already being found in each river above the dams that have already been removed. 

1 hour ago, Shakyjake said:

I’m taking about the snakeheads in the Kill. The flatheads or any other “potentially dangerous fish” as listed by fish and game. Just like the ones already being found in each river above the dams that have already been removed. 

There have been no documentation of snakeheads in the Musky or Paulinskill unless you know something I don’t. Snakeheads prefer warmer rivers like the big D over colder trout rivers.  That’s not to say they won’t ever show up, but those rivers also have non native brown and rainbow trout, largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegills and other non native fish. 

2 hours ago, mike033089 said:

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy catching snake head in the paulinskill. 

First I’ve heard. Our fisheries are such a hot mess, and most of it due to illegal “bucket biology”. The flatheads likely were accidentally introduced by PA Fish & Boat. We seldom learn from past mistakes.  We have always seen some muskies in the lower Musky, another non native peak predator. They eat stocked rainbows like so many Pez candies. But Pequest will just raise more. 

On 4/7/2022 at 2:35 PM, mike033089 said:

Thanks. Me and a buddy will do some exploring since it’s been a few years since we got out for trout with work, kids, new homes etc.  will be a good day regardless fish caught or not.  If rivers too high may just hit the banks of foot bridge park to start and go from there.  Better to fish than not fish at all.  I’ve also heard that the river holds some small mouth through out town. My favorite to fish for and now that I actually live near some small mouth I’m excited. Won’t come close to Wheaton’s lodge in Maine on the Canadian border I’m sure but nothing like a nice size smallie fighting. 

A quote from Shannon's.

More small mouth fishing rivers to look at.

Beaver Brook and Capoolong Creek sustain wild Brown Trout most of the South Branch downstream to Flemington, Three Bridges and onwards to its meeting with the North Branch in Branchburg is a seasonal trout fishery from fall through late spring. Smallmouth Bass become a dominant species here.   

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt