IGNORED

walking to your stand location with a cocked crossbow

muzzy1

Very obviously not an expert, but wound up asking a very similar question of a conservation officer recently. Was getting my firearm certification, and he mentioned how the weapon needed to be disarmed for inspection before handing it over.

I asked afterwards "what about crossbows?" and replied that removing the bolt was sufficient to consider it disarmed. I specifically followed up asking if I should decock it, and he replied that was unnecessary. Once the bolt is out, it's considered disarmed.

Based on that conversation, along with the post from @mazzgolf, I'd say it sounds like you can walk with a cocked (but not armed) crossbow anywhere you can walk with a crossbow.

Personal preference, I'd prefer not to walk with a cocked crossbow. A bad fall might be able to dislodge the string, causing some bad things to happen depending on where the string is, where the limbs are, and where my hands/body are in relation to that during the fall. However, I reserve the right to be 100% wrong about that preference :)

Edited by JustMike

On 11/2/2021 at 12:12 PM, JustMike said:

Very obviously not an expert, but wound up asking a very similar question of a conservation officer recently. Was getting my firearm certification, and he mentioned how the weapon needed to be disarmed for inspection before handing it over.

I asked afterwards "what about crossbows?" and replied that removing the bolt was sufficient to consider it disarmed. I specifically followed up asking if I should decock it, and he replied that was unnecessary. Once the bolt is out, it's considered disarmed.

Based on that conversation, along with the post from @mazzgolf, I'd say it sounds like you can walk with a cocked (but not armed) crossbow anywhere you can walk with a crossbow.

Personal preference, I'd prefer not to walk with a cocked crossbow. A bad fall might be able to dislodge the string, causing some bad things to happen depending on where the string is, where the limbs are, and where my hands/body are in relation to that during the fall. However, I reserve the right to be 100% wrong about that preference :)

If you x-bow fires on a fall there is something wrong with the safety and the anti-dryfire mechanism.

I used to string cock the crossbow on the ground before usingthe climbing stand then hoist up cocked but no bolt.

Since a few crossbows ago ( 2 ravins and a tenpoint ) I have the hand crank and i am comfortable cocking it after i am settled into the stand. 

I decock before lowering it because i come down just about last legal light , unless i let one fly earlier 

1 hour ago, 230jhp said:

If you x-bow fires on a fall there is something wrong with the safety and the anti-dryfire mechanism.

Undoubtedly true. However, these are machines, and machines can fail at the worst possible times. If I plan things while knowing about possible failure conditions, I can plan for better safety.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:12 PM, JustMike said:

I'd prefer not to walk with a cocked crossbow. A bad fall might be able to dislodge the string, causing some bad things to happen depending on where the string is, where the limbs are, and where my hands/body are in relation to that during the fall. 

I agree completely, at least in dark or rough terrain

A crossbow with no bolt is not armed. A muzzleloader with no cap or nipple is not loaded. Personal preference doesn't change these facts

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

On 11/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, JustMike said:

Undoubtedly true. However, these are machines, and machines can fail at the worst possible times. If I plan things while knowing about possible failure conditions, I can plan for better safety.

I think contraption rather than "machine"is a better way to discribe an xbow.