IGNORED

NY Fall Turkey Kill/Plump Hen.

Fred Flintstone

I was out this morning  in Orange County,NY- just North of NJ. Now last Friday,I figured  out where this Flock of Turkeys Roosted.  After 2 days of Pheasant Hunting,I was back.

Plenty of Half Gobbles,Yelping, Cutting,Fly Down Cackles- you name it!

And,I am hidden 30 yards away and Standing up. There had to be possibly  3 Brood Hens and a good 20 Young Turkeys.

3 or 4 Rebel Jake's were Roosted further off. A Bunch of Hens flew down in Front of my position! I picked 1 out that was away from the others and Fired.

A Plump Hen that weighed out at 7lbs after Cleaning + Dressing. I had a " Full Fan" as well. One of the Brood Hens.

Turkey #123 for me. All done as NY sets the limit at 1 Fall Turkey.

On to Pheasants again. I missed a Rooster Pheasant  yesterday- so feeling better now.

Pics coming up.

20211025_080600.jpg

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

1 hour ago, LPJR said:

What's the mindset behind shooting a hen? 

If you know, you know.;)

First of all, it's legal. Secondly, hunting isn't always about thumping one's chest & measuring beards & spurs. Thirdly, not everyone is content to spend boring hours alone in a tree waiting for a deer to stroll by in the fall. Fourth, smaller fall birds are probably the best eating wild turkeys you will find. Fifth, for many of the older guys, it's tradition.

Anyone who has broken a large flock of fall birds (especially with a well-trained bird dog) knows the excitement of mastering fall calling, having birds calling from every direction, and knowing one can pop it's head up or around a tree at any second. MANY more types of calls & sounds in the fall turkey woods to learn, not just the same old yawt-yawt-yawt that a child can learn for calling in a spring gobbler. A LOT of walking involved most times, it's not for everyone.

Turk.jpg

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Congrats! If its legal to harvest a hen and you wish to do so then by all means that is success! There's something different about fall turkey hunting, maybe its the primitive style of hunting but it's such a unique experience.

Personally, I would not harvest a hen knowing how hard they have it to survive and successfully take care of their clutch in the spring. But no criticism from me to you, it brings up an interesting conversation. I think it should up to the Hunter if they would take a hen or not (when legal). 

In my opinion if it was a serious conservation issue, states with a fall turkey season would not allow harvesting of hens. Considering it is legal then its probably not a big impact on turkey population.