IGNORED

NY Fall Turkey Kill/Plump Hen.

Fred Flintstone

5 hours ago, Stan Putz said:

If you know, you know.;)

First of all, it's legal. Secondly, hunting isn't always about thumping one's chest & measuring beards & spurs. Thirdly, not everyone is content to spend boring hours alone in a tree waiting for a deer to stroll by in the fall. Fourth, smaller fall birds are probably the best eating wild turkeys you will find. Fifth, for many of the older guys, it's tradition.

Anyone who has broken a large flock of fall birds (especially with a well-trained bird dog) knows the excitement of mastering fall calling, having birds calling from every direction, and knowing one can pop it's head up or around a tree at any second. MANY more types of calls & sounds in the fall turkey woods to learn, not just the same old yawt-yawt-yawt that a child can learn for calling in a spring gobbler. A LOT of walking involved most times, it's not for everyone.

Turk.jpg

Thanks Stan! You said it Best for sure.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

2 hours ago, Bobcat19 said:

Congrats! If its legal to harvest a hen and you wish to do so then by all means that is success! There's something different about fall turkey hunting, maybe its the primitive style of hunting but it's such a unique experience.

Personally, I would not harvest a hen knowing how hard they have it to survive and successfully take care of their clutch in the spring. But no criticism from me to you, it brings up an interesting conversation. I think it should up to the Hunter if they would take a hen or not (when legal). 

In my opinion if it was a serious conservation issue, states with a fall turkey season would not allow harvesting of hens. Considering it is legal then its probably not a big impact on turkey population.

The Jake were further off. There was SO MANY Hens in this Flock of perhaps 3 Brood Hens that the 1,Took won't  make much difference. 

I called the Flock down to my position with Tree Yelps and had an exciting time.

Good Eating too

6 hours ago, LPJR said:

What's the mindset behind shooting a hen? 

Stan said it best. 

Additionally-- NY back in 2015 totally changed the  Fall Turkey Season in 3 ways.

DEC cut the Fall Turkey Season from 6 Weeks to 2 Weeks in Zones 3+4.

Cut the Bag Limit from 2 Fall Turkeys to 1.

And moved the October 1st Opening date way back to- ) this year)- October 16th.

In the same year- DEC moved the Bow Deer Season back from around October  16th or so to October 1st.

Basically- a Switch was made- but,I digress.

So this is the 7th year from 2015 for Turkeys to increase in number. And they have from my observation. 

And finally and with endless walking the 6 days before this successful  day,I definitely  wanted to make a Kill.

Also recently  Retired like you.

And Hens are just as Wary as Gobblers.

Hope,I answered fully.

Nice hen Fred Congrats! I know growing up hunting NY it was always a matter of whatever bird you could close the deal on in the fall. It was never about a long beard . I haven't hunted the fall in NY for turkeys in several years but i had some great hunts bow and gun. These days fishing and bow hunting make up my fall in jersey and NY. It's hard to find the time to do it all and still work. 

7 or 17 pounds ? If 7 do you think it was one of this springs poults ? Numbers rising ?

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

5 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Stan said it best. 

Additionally-- NY back in 2015 totally changed the  Fall Turkey Season in 3 ways.

DEC cut the Fall Turkey Season from 6 Weeks to 2 Weeks in Zones 3+4.

Cut the Bag Limit from 2 Fall Turkeys to 1.

And moved the October 1st Opening date way back to- ) this year)- October 16th.

In the same year- DEC moved the Bow Deer Season back from around October  16th or so to October 1st.

Basically- a Switch was made- but,I digress.

So this is the 7th year from 2015 for Turkeys to increase in number. And they have from my observation. 

And finally and with endless walking the 6 days before this successful  day,I definitely  wanted to make a Kill.

Also recently  Retired like you.

And Hens are just as Wary as Gobblers.

Hope,I answered fully.

Have me confused with another member perhaps. I am not retired. Thanks for the answer though. :up:

That’s 10 less poults next year if you ask me.. As long as Wilma and Barnie come over for dinner with an upside down Pineapple your all set for dinner and some. Enjoy..

Edited by MPSR
Bed rock spelling

5 hours ago, MPSR said:

That’s 10 less poults next year if you ask me.. As long as Wilma and Barnie come over for dinner with an upside down Pineapple your all set for dinner and some. Enjoy..

Definitely  Disagree with you.

First off there are no Poults this time of year. Just younger Turkeys who can by now Easily Survive.

There should be no Negativity  when a member posts up a picture of a Kill of any species.