IGNORED

NJ Gun Club Final 2020 6-day buck counts!

BowhunterNJ

24 minutes ago, hemlock said:

Tradition with hunters going back 100 years or more. I live as far north as you can go in jersey and only ever heard of these southern clubs through this site. So it's really something to see pictures firsthand. Wow ! 

I'm not used to seeing the photos either. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

31 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Being a trophy hunter and sometimes frowning upon guys taking young bucks I still think its awesome to see traditions holding strong.  Seeing that many deer on a meatpole seems like a lot of deer but most guys shoot more deer per person throughout the year but its just not all in one week.  Congrats to all the clubs.  Im kind of jealous being a lone hunter, hunting with a group with strong traditions looks like a lot of fun!

Yep, as I looked at the numbers I was thinking if every one at the club killed as many deer as I do, for example, they would need a bigger meat poll. Still makes you wonder about the impact of taking so many bucks in one area.

If this is what was killed, how many more are wounded?  Nothing against the harvest or the means in driving the deer, just making my assumption knowing that most are shooting at moving targets, through thick cover in the pines. Shooting at a marginal target always equals marginal success in my experiences. 

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

Nice post Matty. I love the pics!.. in one respect I love that you pork rollers still have the backdrop of woods. Long lost in the town I grew in, back in the 30s  used to be rolling hill's and Cow farms. I tried to carry on the tradition DOE DAY..circa 1980.

IMG_20201214_104500205.jpg

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Still makes you wonder about the impact of taking so many bucks in one area.

Respectfully - I don't think the impact can be that great.  This is not a new phenomenon that just started this past six-day.  These are some old clubs with lots of history, year after year...................

1 minute ago, LittleM said:

Respectfully - I don't think the impact can be that great.  This is not a new phenomenon that just started this past six-day.  These are some old clubs with lots of history, year after year...................

I can't disagree because I don't know and you have a good point

Lots of deer and a lot of small ones there.  The tradition started way before our long seasons and liberal bag limits. Unfotunately, this is a big reason public land is the way it is. Fun for the guys shooting but not so much for the guys that have the mob come through and shoot everything that runs out the other side. 

www.liftxrentals.com

19 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

Lots of deer and a lot of small ones there.  The tradition started way before our long seasons and liberal bag limits. Unfotunately, this is a big reason public land is the way it is. Fun for the guys shooting but not so much for the guys that have the mob come through and shoot everything that runs out the other side. 

Pretty hypocritical statement. Oh wait beg my pardon you're a trophy Hunter.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, tcook8296 said:

Hypocritical how?

Lots of deer small ones. Could be a grandfather's grandson's first deer. Don't matter the size. A trophy is measured in the heart.