IGNORED

How long will a deer avoid a harvest area? Or missed shot?

Another thing to consider are coyotes and othe scavengers. If you would like to continue to hunt an area, drag the deer away from where it  dropped to gut it out. If you gut it in the area where you would expect to see deer in the future, there will be the scent of coyotes there who will visit it during the night. Plus you will have turkey vultures and crows there during the day.

Gut piles are completely and totally natural. In NJ 99% of the gut piles have corn in them. Think of it as a prepacked bait pile. Lol

The hardest part about killing a mature buck is we as hunters give them WAYYYY too much credit. Don’t overthink the situation. 

Ive shot multiple deer minutes and hours apart from the same stand.

ALMOST IMMEDIATELY, I have seen bucks come in next day after a kill !

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

2 hours ago, trapoholic said:

Another thing to consider are coyotes and othe scavengers. If you would like to continue to hunt an area, drag the deer away from where it  dropped to gut it out. If you gut it in the area where you would expect to see deer in the future, there will be the scent of coyotes there who will visit it during the night. Plus you will have turkey vultures and crows there during the day.

One day and the gut pile is gone, in most places coyote smell is everywhere.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I spine shot one and he fell right on the bait pile, I knew I wasn't going to hunt there for 2 weeks so I left the pile right on the corn. I left the camera out and had deer feeding soon after I left.   Another point to make as a tracker I've been on plenty of high shoulder hits we don't find them because they are still alive, but if they are resident deer they often will be back on camera within a week.  If they are not resident deer they are going back to their core area

a

Shot a big doe last light tracked with a buddy drug it out.  These 2 showed up along with small bucks n dies n hour later they started coming in. The one with splits is new the broken 8 I've had on cam a while mostly night but a few daylights

Screenshot_20201202-095739_SPYPOINT.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-095755_SPYPOINT.jpg

On 12/1/2020 at 12:52 PM, FeniQuest217 said:

How often will a deer return to a spot another deer was killed? I know I have seen some of this discussed but wanted me own chain for reference. A spot where i have my stand setup with a few friends i hunt with, went out for Muzzleloader and bagged a beautiful 8 pointer today.   THe other person he hunted with today missed a young spike lol crazy events today. We are set to go Monday for 6-day with, and his kill was i think about 500 yards from where my stand is, potentially more. So will other bucks or doe's avoid the area for a few days, a week? 2 weeks? Or will they just return to the area as they wish. Thanks guys.

I was hunting off a corner of a field yesterday afternoon. Another hunter was in the other corner on the short end of the field. He shot a doe at 3:50pm. I had 2 does and fawn come in at 4:00pm. A mere 10 minutes after he shot. I checked that trail cam today. I had a nice buck come in 21 minutes after it snapped my pic leaving to go help that guy drag his deer. We probably were not even out of the field when that buck came in. And we were talking out loud the whole time. So you will be plenty good to go for 6 day.