IGNORED

Someone tried hunting my stand opening day

MZ7Extreme

5 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Civility and respect toward our fellow citizens is as dead as Jimmy Hoffa and it's not coming back in our lifetimes.  Sad but true....

Overall I agree. But I have had great success with meeting other hunters and having/showing mutual respect for each other. Dealing with the public everyday in my work life I would agree 100% with your statement.

2 hours ago, gregtpal said:

Even that isnt conflict proof.  I hunted spots for years leaving as little sign as possible & several times someone puts up a perm & feels its their spot. Sometimes i moved on, other times i kept hunting it. 1 guy was outraged i would be so close to his stand.  One opener, i climb up well before 1st light in a tree id been hunting for 5 or 6 years.  As the light comes, i see a yellow area 20 yds away.  little bit after that , someone is walking towards me & climbs in to a nearby ladder i never saw. I whistle a few times, the guy looks up & i can see the 'oh shit' look clearly.  Couple minutes later, he climbs down & heads out.  felt bad for the guy as it wasnt anyone's fault.  He probably posted some sob put a climber up over my bait on njh.

yeah. happens a lot. like i said before. "good ol jersey hunting" public and state land sucks. and its not always other hunters. you have other non hunters enjoying the woods with you. 

one year i was duck hunting only to have a lady walk up real slow and start taking pictures of my malard decoys in the river. 

There's another thing we haven't mentioned, and that is herd mentality.  If an angler is pounding fish, he/she attracts all the other anglers up and downstream who crowd into his/her spot as if the only fish around are in front of the one angler.  Deer hunting is no different.  How many hunters see stands and assume they must be set up in a good area and feel the need to join the party?  I see that with my own friends whenever I'm having success.  My own buddies have tried to cut me off from my best NY rifle stand because I put the time in to understand where our pressured bucks head first thing in the morning and I have gone 6 bucks  for 7 years by 9 am on opening day including the biggest buck shot in our camp to date.  Suddenly the younger guys wanted to move to cut me off, but we had a talk about ethics and why that isn't good.  Besides, if they all sat still all day, every one of them would shoot a buck each year or most years.  

So the guy has one stand set up and you set up 2 feet from him on purpose. Why not find a spot to hunt without a stand 2 feet away and set up? I could care less if you did it to me. I would either jump into a different spot or I would sit in my ladder stand and call a few friends telling them about some guy that is sitting 2 feet away from me thinking he is going to have a fun hunt. 
I know a ton of the guys on public land I hunt so we do not have any issues. I had a guy who setup pretty close to me for winter bow. He said he checked around and didnt see my stand. He has 68 acres of private land but enjoys hunting this wma. We agreed if one of us is there we will go to different spot. It is a respect issue. And if you act like a douche-- I will be a jerk. Respect goes a long way. I always put out exploratory cams to find new spot. I had a note on my cam when I went to retrieve the card. I pulled the cam instead and let them hunt in peace. I don't see why everyone cant show same respect. 
Once again, reading comprehension is not a skill of yours. I'll repeat myself for the illiterate people like yourself... If I walk in and someone is already in a stand, I'm more than happy with going and finding a different place to sit. But if I've scouted an area and I like the sign I'm seeing, I'd have no issue sitting anywhere in the area even if the tree is 2 ft away from a stand that someone has left there with the expectation of everyone else avoiding the area. That's crap!

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

None of this is an issue for me, but it does get me thinking because of all the whining about it over the years on sites like this one.  Maybe the fairest way is a rule on all public lands to remove any stands or feeders within 30 days of the end of the season and not being allowed to put them back up until 30 days prior to the new fall season.  Like State Parks and many county parks have, but for all WMA lands as well.  It would force a reduction in the ghost stands where one hunter has 5 (or 3 or 10 or whatever amount) stands out and can obviously only hunt one at a time and probably not every day either, so it greatly reduces those stands only hunted in one or two days and allows another hunter to spend more time in that hunting area because he doesn't see so many stands, most of which will remain empty 29 out of every 30 days.  It's not an easy issue for some.  

I like this but would add that each hunter is only allowed something like 1 stand per state park/WMA/public place. That would eliminate people from placing 5+ stands in one general area hoping to claim these areas for themselves.

David

4 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

I like this but would add that each hunter is only allowed something like 1 stand per state park/WMA/public place. That would eliminate people from placing 5+ stands in one general area hoping to claim these areas for themselves.

David

And if they want a second, it's a climber or pop up they can carry in and out same day.  As I mentioned, I don't have a dog in this hunt, so maybe not a limit of one, but certainly not unlimited either.  An argument for another day, I guess.  I just wish folks would give each other more space unless they meet and agree not to.  Maybe I'm just too used to the lesser crowded WMAs up north which also usually have much fewer deer than other parts of the state and crowded woods seem to be less an issue.  

And if they want a second, it's a climber or pop up they can carry in and out same day.  As I mentioned, I don't have a dog in this hunt, so maybe not a limit of one, but certainly not unlimited either.  An argument for another day, I guess.  I just wish folks would give each other more space unless they meet and agree not to.  Maybe I'm just too used to the lesser crowded WMAs up north which also usually have much fewer deer than other parts of the state and crowded woods seem to be less an issue.  
I completely agree. That's why I said "something like 1". IMO the number should be 2 or less but that's a debate for another day.

David

19 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

Once again, reading comprehension is not a skill of yours. I'll repeat myself for the illiterate people like yourself... If I walk in and someone is already in a stand, I'm more than happy with going and finding a different place to sit. But if I've scouted an area and I like the sign I'm seeing, I'd have no issue sitting anywhere in the area even if the tree is 2 ft away from a stand that someone has left there with the expectation of everyone else avoiding the area. That's crap!

David

Oh so as long as you can get in the spot before them that particular day that is the rule. How about the guy scouted it before you and liked the sign and had someone help him set up a stand to use. I get it now. It is whatever rules you want. Not what a respectable person would or wouldn't do.  I hope to hear about the day you are not able bodied and some young guy screwed you over in the only spot you had set up. Karma is a bitch. Respect goes a long way. I guess that's the difference between me and you.

Oh so as long as you can get in the spot before them that particular day that is the rule. How about the guy scouted it before you and liked the sign and had someone help him set up a stand to use. I get it now. It is whatever rules you want. Not what a respectable person would or wouldn't do.  I hope to hear about the day you are not able bodied and some young guy screwed you over in the only spot you had set up. Karma is a bitch. Respect goes a long way. I guess that's the difference between me and you.
What the fudge is your deal? I've said it before and I'll repeat it. Public land is a first come first serve thing. If I had set a stand and someone else got to the area before me, I'd have no issue with it. I'd wish them well and move on. Get over yourself.... because you clearly don't have a clue about most things, up to and including me.

David

5 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

How about a guys with 10 stands on WMA? Do you expect everyone to just move on when they see his stands and look for another spot? 

You sound like the exact type of hunter who puts out a pile of stands with the hope of blocking other hunters out. So I'll ask you... how many stands do you have out during the year? And how many different properties are they on? Interested minds want to know.

David

3 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

What the fudge is your deal? I've said it before and I'll repeat it. Public land is a first come first serve thing. If I had set a stand and someone else got to the area before me, I'd have no issue with it. I'd wish them well and move on. Get over yourself.... because you clearly don't have a clue about most things, up to and including me.

David

So again, you have no idea who owns that stand. It turns out to be an older  guy who scouted the spot and had someone help him set up a stand because he can't use a climber. He actually beat you to that spot, just not that day. Now you want to take away his hunt because you don't want to find a different spot. So yea I think that is a douche move. I share my spots and none of them were by moving in on anyone else. I am taking first time hunter tomorrow, a newer hunter and son on Saturday and my apprentice hunter from last year will be joining me next week. The one thing you did get right is I don't know you personally, but can sure see things are about you and only you.  

Last thing though-- do you have what page number that rule about arriving to public land first is the way public land works? A respectable person does not move in they move on.

10 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

You sound like the exact type of hunter who puts out a pile of stands with the hope of blocking other hunters out. So I'll ask you... how many stands do you have out during the year? And how many different properties are they on? Interested minds want to know.

David

He has 10 on one WMA. This was discussed early this year in another thread and he told us he keeps 10 all year 

8 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

How about a guys with 10 stands on WMA? Do you expect everyone to just move on when they see his stands and look for another spot? 

Yes I do. I know a guy who owns 66 acres in new egypt and has 6 stands on the wma I hunt. I met the guy last year. Reason I know is because he set up about 100 yards from me. We share the spot and hunt when the other is not there. Respect. I do not think that he doesn't have the right because he owns 66 acres. He has every right. The wma has 13,000 acres. I have had one person walk by me in the last 30 years hunting. So my 10 stands do not prevent anyone from hunting. The only spot I get any pictures of people are where they stock pheasant and they are not deer hunting. So if I was claiming an area I would have people walking by me or pictures. I hunt where others do not hunt. I scout people as much as I scout deer. My 10 stands actually help people hunt. I had a friend of friend hunt one stand last year and he blew a chance at the biggest buck he ever saw in 21 years hunting. I have 3 hunters using those stands this year and my self. So you may not like it but I don't need your approval. I hunt for me and not to get approval from you.

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

There's another thing we haven't mentioned, and that is herd mentality.  If an angler is pounding fish, he/she attracts all the other anglers up and downstream who crowd into his/her spot as if the only fish around are in front of the one angler.  Deer hunting is no different.  How many hunters see stands and assume they must be set up in a good area and feel the need to join the party?  I see that with my own friends whenever I'm having success.  My own buddies have tried to cut me off from my best NY rifle stand because I put the time in to understand where our pressured bucks head first thing in the morning and I have gone 6 bucks  for 7 years by 9 am on opening day including the biggest buck shot in our camp to date.  Suddenly the younger guys wanted to move to cut me off, but we had a talk about ethics and why that isn't good.  Besides, if they all sat still all day, every one of them would shoot a buck each year or most years.  

100%.  I call it the "That must be where all the deer are" syndrome.  10,000+ acres in my example earlier, miles of roads but guys have to park 100 yards from someone else and hunt the same few deer as if there are no deer anywhere else.  Just silly.  I think it's the difference between being willing to take on the work to find your own deer versus wanting to take the easy route of knowing another hunter may be seeing deer and you want in on the action.