IGNORED

Someone tried hunting my stand opening day

MZ7Extreme

I went to check my stand August 31st, to just check straps and so on and noticed a camera and block of bait literally in front of my stand. I said this isn't good so I set up my cell camera....

My link micro let me know and I paid a visit to the upstanding young hunter who felt it was cool to hunt a person's stand.

Walked up to the area and the fine ethical hunter said hello, and my reply was wanna get the eff out of my stand. He didnt know what to say, then he was like I'm sorry I thought it was abandoned, I said why would you think that, he my friend set me up here because he said no one came here for 3 months. I said, so someone doesn't come to their stand in the summer for 3 months its abandoned?! I said it again get out of my stand.  He was praying lmao, I promised him to not touch him while laughing, he got down and kept apologizing. I was like please get your camera and your block of bait out of here.

He started walking out and I said where are you going, he said the way I came, I looked at him and said you walked right through their freaking bedding area, stop and follow me.

I showed him the way out and that was that.

After this I decided to jump in my truck and go to his buddies truck and have a little talk.

Get the truck and there was the fine ethical hunter waiting for his buddy.

I then saw a guy walking towards the truck and went over to him and said what's up? So you're the guy who thought its co to sit someone's stand? He was like it looked abandoned, I said it's not. I only check my stands in late spring and last week in August to just check out straps and stuff.

You shouldn't think it's ok, because all the guys I know dont go anywhere near their stand except to just check on them once maybe twice, he said that's weird.

I said well the least amount of intrusion the better, and I dont bait. He said well I've been hunting 15 years and always go and blah blah, I said well maybe you didn't learn ethics or how to make ethical decisions, if you need a lesson I am here to help🙂

Next day I went to go check my stand again and they were hiding in the woods, I yelled to them no need to hide I saw you already , come on out... they left😂.

They did take their cam and block and I did try to offer a thanks but they were gone.

Welp that's all folks!

I fold up my stand to the tree and cable it.these whiting guys will not think twice about sitting in your stand. And hunt over your bait if your not in it.one of the biggest culprits is a buddy of a local w&w member.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, NotJust22s said:

I'm sorry to have to be the one to ask but why do you leave your stand on public land all year? Technically, it is abandoned. Do you believe it gives you the right to the spot? It's Public

haha beat me to it- if it is public land...you both were in the wrong. Stand cant go up until 30 days before the season. So if it was there prior, it was either 1) illegal or 2) abandoned. 

police zealand GIF

10 minutes ago, NotJust22s said:

I'm sorry to have to be the one to ask but why do you leave your stand on public land all year? Technically, it is abandoned. Do you believe it gives you the right to the spot? It's Public

Without trying to stir the pot, I tend to agree.  A random stand on public land, no sign of life, no cameras, bait piles, etc.  I don't see how the kids did anything wrong.  I mean, I personally wouldn't sit in a random stand bc it could belong to someone, it might be unsafe,  etc, but that's just me. 

Aren't you actually not allowed to leave your stands on public land either?  I feel like I read that once or twice

25 minutes ago, NotJust22s said:

I actually had The same thought. The kid say he did not see anyone there for 3 months and since two of the three the stand should not be there, maybe he correctly assumed the stand was abandoned? 

44 minutes ago, NotJust22s said:

He could have put a stand in the area, then there would be no issue.

Good talk!

Just now, MZ7Extreme said:

He could have put a stand in the area, then there would be no issue.

Good talk!

Come on. All in good fun! Lol you came on to complain about something while inadvertently admitting you illegally Hold spots on public land. Personally that’s more unethical than someone taking an abandoned stand lol. 

I hope those kids are on this site and see that not every hunter treats people they you say you treated them. A couple young hunters who probably can't afford to buy stands and just leave them out on public land get cursed at by a guys who leaves his out all year and thinks that's ok.

maybe a more civil and respectful conversation would have been the adult thing to do. And we wonder why kids aren't getting into hunting.

Just now, NotJust22s said:

I hope those kids are on this site and see that not every hunter treats people they you say you treated them. A couple young hunters who probably can't afford to buy stands and just leave them out on public land get cursed at by a guys who leaves his out all year and thinks that's ok.

maybe a more civil and respectful conversation would have been the adult thing to do. And we wonder why kids aren't getting into hunting.

They were in their 20s early 30s so go on tell me aain how much you like assuming