IGNORED

Would you consider this backyard huntable?

Taz_Pagri

Heck yeah it's huntable ! Backyard hunting at its finest. Haha you will more than likely need to bait them to a specific spot though since you wont have many options for where you can set up but as others have said it's all about the neighbors. 98 percent of the deer will not die on your property and you will need to have permission to go get them . A poor shot could have you passing through 5 or more neighbors yards just to find the deer then have to drag it back through

Thanks for all the info. Probably will have to have a conversation with the neighbors.

I am a lifetime fisherman but new hunter. I think having such close access to hunting will make it easier to make my kids outdoorsmen and women. I can hunt for trophy bucks elsewhere.

Besides good shot placement, is there anything that can be done to minimize having to recover deer from the neighbors properties? 

Edited by Taz_Pagri

3 minutes ago, Taz_Pagri said:

Thanks for all the info. Probably will have to have a conversation with the neighbors.

I am a lifetime fisherman but new hunter. I think having such close access to hunting will make it easier to make my kids outdoorsmen and women. I can hunt for trophy bucks elsewhere.

Besides good shot placement, is there anything that can be done to minimize having to recover deer from the neighbors properties? 

Even with good shot placement some deer run really far just from a will to live you will deffinitly be recovering nearly every deer from another person's property which is no big deal if they are ok with it. I hunt 2 property like this

Who’s to say that one of you future neighbors doesn’t already hunt back there?   Maybe the neighbor has 2 sons that he’s teaching to bow hunt in that patch of woods and he lives twos down from this house your looking at.

Yes

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

#1 ask the neighbors

#2 be stealthy

I started hunting a <2 acre lot with tons of neighboring properties around. Out of 7 deer only 2 ran over property lines and then Several which made it hard to track. Problem is if it goes over the street and then further you have to ask those neighbors and then find your track line again which makes it super hard.

It’s possible but gotta be aware of the downsides as well.

On a serious note- The advise that the town cant stop hunting is 100% false. A town ordinance that has a no discharge would not allow you to hunt the property. Check on that first.

On a less serious note- shoot rage and you wont have these problems everyone talks about recovering deer. Amazing everyone is worried about that. If you hunt the property- be selective, keep within 20 yards- rage - no tracking.

Good luck!

I’m not trying to start a big debate but if a town can stop hunting by an ordinance on private property then hunting could be outlawed in NJ completely?

The town I work for has such an ordinance, a company in town owns a nice chunk of property and allows two or three people  to hunt it  residents have seen them parking on this property and going in to hunt, they called the police and were stopped not summonsed. It was brought to councils attention and the borough attorney said its private property and the amount of property supported hunting they weren’t doing anything. 

State law over rules municipal law, is it something you want to fight in court I would rather not be guinea pig. But if I bought property  acreage with the intention to hunt I would not hesitate to take it to court most municipalities know they can only enforce ordinances on township property.