IGNORED

What is your MER while bowhunting?

LPJR

56 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

I’m not big on these discussions. For one most guys exaggerate. Two they should learn to get close enough not to take long shots. I’ve seen enough guys shoot and max effective range should probably be 20 and under. 
The guys that could shoot longer ought not to brag as it tells newer folks it’s ok to shoot longer. It’s not unless conditions really are perfect. 
40 yards for instance as quoted heck many times even 30 allows the arrow in the air way too long. A deer takes one step forward and now it’s gut shot. 
We need to be responsible. 
So anyone who says they can shoot 40 I’ll come watch you shoot. We’ll be wearing our hunt clothes. I’m gonna make you sleep little the night before so youre tired. I’ll put you in a stand for 3-4 hours, and give you one shot. It’ll be dingy light. Let’s see how ya do. I’ll be adding some stress the way a deer would too. 
Now my opinion is I love seeing an arrow fly long distance. We ought to keep that for practice or 3D. It makes close shots seem easy. 
Long shots equal bad hunter who’s unsure of another opportunity most often. 

Exactly! Been there done that. 45yards without range finder clean shot under the deer. 
But TBH that’s what makes hunting so special. There are consequences in life and here they are very much and directly connected to your actions!

3 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

I’m not big on these discussions. For one most guys exaggerate. Two they should learn to get close enough not to take long shots. I’ve seen enough guys shoot and max effective range should probably be 20 and under. 
The guys that could shoot longer ought not to brag as it tells newer folks it’s ok to shoot longer. It’s not unless conditions really are perfect. 
40 yards for instance as quoted heck many times even 30 allows the arrow in the air way too long. A deer takes one step forward and now it’s gut shot. 
We need to be responsible. 
So anyone who says they can shoot 40 I’ll come watch you shoot. We’ll be wearing our hunt clothes. I’m gonna make you sleep little the night before so youre tired. I’ll put you in a stand for 3-4 hours, and give you one shot. It’ll be dingy light. Let’s see how ya do. I’ll be adding some stress the way a deer would too. 
Now my opinion is I love seeing an arrow fly long distance. We ought to keep that for practice or 3D. It makes close shots seem easy. 
Long shots equal bad hunter who’s unsure of another opportunity most often. 

Very narrow minded statement and I bet based on zero experience on the subject of longer distance shots on actual game.

Btw Ill take you challenge and since I ma very confident I will do one shot in a kill zone for $2K. 

Edited by Lunatic

Foggy, I would be more than happy to prove you wrong about a target at any distance with any amount of pressure you want to induce but I am one person.  My success rate also shows my skills.  With that said, everybodys MER will be different.  there is plenty of hunters who can shoot those longer distances confidently and many who exaggerate.  Regardless of how far a persons MER is, a close "slam dunk" shot is what all should be striving for as it is bowhunting.  A hunter may injure an animal for many reasons but not always distance, usually from executing a rushed shot and not waiting for a good angle knowing exactly where the vitals are.  Many people will blame a lost deer on a bad broadhead (which is bullsh*t) but it comes down to shot placement.  i do agree with you that you should not "extend" your MER just because antlers are bigger, every animal deserves a quick humane death.  Most hunters take pride in thier shooting/ hunting skills and would believe most would only take a shot at an animal knowing they will have a dead deer at the other end. 

Farthest I have taken a deer is 46 yrds I shoot compound.  Deer was relaxed feeding in open oaks.  My experience and mistakes have been close chip shot.  Not executing the shot properly.  My feeling is on a longer shot I seem to force execution of form and with closer shots its embedded its a chip shot and we take for granted.  Complacency causes errors

49 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Farthest I have taken a deer is 46 yrds I shoot compound.  Deer was relaxed feeding in open oaks.  My experience and mistakes have been close chip shot.  Not executing the shot properly.  My feeling is on a longer shot I seem to force execution of form and with closer shots its embedded its a chip shot and we take for granted.  Complacency causes errors

That's a very good point but that's not the only reason longer shots are easier. When the animal is at 40 yards it is usually much more relaxed, if not totally relaxed, as compared the same animal at 20 yards. You are also not stressed to move into shot position because detection at 40 yards is less likely.  Both factors make you more relax and lead to proper execution. In addition deer is much less likely to react to the sound at 40 yards than 20.

I have no need or inclination  to prove anything to anyone. This was a question posed by a well respected member , answered by several members and then highjacked by you with your third grade "oh yeah, prove it" trolling bullshit. If you don't believe that a man can become a competent archer and bow hunter after more than 40 years of dedication, nearly daily shooting and bow hunting all over North America in a wide variety of environments and conditions then just move along Froggy, move along.

55 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Yea more talk with no desire to prove anything that’s why the ridiculous wager. How bout just doing it cause you can?

I think it is ridiculous to think all hunter, with different level of experience, expertise and ability, armed with different weapons have the same MER.
As to the wager I would agree it is ridiculous if you have no confidence in your own position and its a very strong statement of confidence on the other side of the argument.