IGNORED

What is your MER while bowhunting?

LPJR

With the season around the corner in some early zones, hopefully guys and gals on here are ready or are getting ready with their equipment.    

*Questions for discussion*

*What is your maximum effective range (MER) while bow hunting deer? 

This will obviously vary greatly on here.  A few of us were just talking about this today. 

Personally, my  MER that I feel comfortable with from a stand or ground with the Mathews is 40 yards. We were dipping numerous Full Metal Jackets into the targets this past week at 50, 60, 70 yards consistently but this is not a shot I would ethically take while hunting. Too many factors, especially in the whitetail woods, that could cause an issue for me.

*What sight are you using on your bow?

The Z7 I picked up recently has a G5 Optix 3 pin w/floater that I like. The  bright .029" pins allow for surgical shots...

Post up your MER and the sight you depend on while hunting.......

image.png.f355c0ce41ebfead6bb5bb950547a6ce.png

Edited by LPJR

I limit all my shots to 30yds or under. I have ten point crossbow  and am sure it would be very effective out to 50yds. But i hunt for the close emcounter so i never even took a practice shot past 30 yds with my crossbow.  I have passed  shots at some great deer because i wont shoot past 30yds.  No regrets st all. The encounter is awesome enough.

Been hunting  for 30 years and my longest shot was 33 yards and it was effective. I will go with that.  I like them close.  With a bow it’s always been about how close can I shoot them not how far.  

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

I could effectively shoot into a cigarette pack at a hundred yards with both my compound and xbow .

but as Todd wrote an archer sees how far he can shoot , a Bowhunter sees how close he can get !!!!!! 

Every good buck I have taken I was able to shoot under 17 yards . Absolute chip shots .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

40 yards...but I prefer them a lot closer.  Longest shot in NJ was 26.  Average shot is 15-17.  

Both of the bows I'm shooting right now have custom Montana Black Gold sights on them.  For my Frankenthrottle, I'm using a Custom Black Gold Whitetail.  3 pins, all green .019 pins (set at 20-30-40) and mounted on a 4" X-Base.  On my Prime Centurgy Hybrid I have a custom Black Gold Whitetail too.  4 pins, all green .019 (set at 20-30-40-50) and mounted on a 6" dovetail.

My longest was 60 yds with a crossbow and 125 yds with a rifle. I would not do this unless it was perfect conditions. Open field, no wind, calm animal, by itself. A person's maximum effective range can be determined this way:

If you have to pay a fee for a non-recovered animal, how far would you shoot?

Another way to say it, "a wounding fee".

Outfitters use this to curtail risky behavior.

This puts some reality into the question.

You may be able to hit the BE at 100 yds with an arrow but would you do it with a live animal? A deer can move a few feet in the time it takes an arrow to reach it at that range.

Same applies to firearms. You have a comfort level and although the equipment has bigger capabilities, your skills may not measure up.

So ask yourself the question. 

Edited by archer36