IGNORED

What is your MER while bowhunting?

LPJR

5 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

It’s understandable thinking  but we shouldn’t change our principles because of this. 
Guys let’s say 10 out of 10 times we make can make a perfect shot but once out of ten the deer reacts and causes a bad shot. That’s 10% and not how we want to be. 
It’s just not acceptable. Too many things could go wrong even if we were to do things perfectly. 
We need to guard our sport. Only absolute shots should be taken. Nothing can be absolute about long shots on game. If guys take em I’m not stopping you but we shouldn’t talk about it and cause more guys who def can’t make the shot ten out of ten under the pressures I mentioned try  so. 
I mean look at Raven crossbows. They quote 100 yards. Compounds can do that. Heck recurves can. Most guys though can’t make that shot with a slug gun offhand. Imagine with a bow? 
Turkey hunting as well everyone talks longer and longer distance. It’s just not a fact all you hear is possible. 
So if anyone wants to prove me wrong with just a stationary target let’s do it. So far all I hear is silence and excuses for guys not willing to try. 
Why is that? Because people are concerned they may not make the shot. If so it shouldn’t be taken at a live animal 

So what is your point? A lot of things can go wrong at any yardage. I'm very capable of shooting at 40 yards, no problem. Elk shots tend to be 40+ yards, hence why they tell you to practice at 40+ yards.

Edited by NJ Predator

MAYBE ITS MY PTSD I DONT KNOW.....

but when I woke up today at 6am looking forward to bringing down a huge oak tree....... I now click onto NJW&W to read in bed to help wake up and to relate with others in this sport that we LOVE........I read foggy mountains response and couldn’t help but feel that it was directed at me since till then I was the only one who said I set up from 32 to 42 yards....

the problem with u taking such a broad stroke saying it’s an exaggerated distance is like throwing mud in the drinking water and saying oh look what someone did..well I’m not calling anyone out ... BUT U ARE IN A COWARDLY WAY

i took a 42 yard shot dead center double lung and it happened to also sliced part of the heart which I never aim to hit, the heart is to small of a target on my knees in a blind with my marine corps buddy at a buck I would have never shot but because he was there it made it even more memorable ...I would have let the buck walk by any other time if I was alone 

when I practice I start at 40yards always and when I take my first practice shot I do it as if I was shooting a real buck and my first shot is always bullseye even if I don’t shoot in 4 months...

I bet I’ll hit bullseye with my first set of fletched arrows I showed off the the night...... 

anyone can muddy the water that’s the problem but when u have something to loose most likely you would keep your mouth shut

22 minutes ago, Monster Marine said:

MAYBE ITS MY PTSD I DONT KNOW.....

but when I woke up today at 6am looking forward to bringing down a huge oak tree....... I now click onto NJW&W to read in bed to help wake up and to relate with others in this sport that we LOVE........I read foggy mountains response and couldn’t help but feel that it was directed at me since till then I was the only one who said I set up from 32 to 42 yards....

the problem with u taking such a broad stroke saying it’s an exaggerated distance is like throwing mud in the drinking water and saying oh look what someone did..well I’m not calling anyone out ... BUT U ARE IN A COWARDLY WAY

i took a 42 yard shot dead center double lung and it happened to also sliced part of the heart which I never aim to hit, the heart is to small of a target on my knees in a blind with my marine corps buddy at a buck I would have never shot but because he was there it made it even more memorable ...I would have let the buck walk by any other time if I was alone 

when I practice I start at 40yards always and when I take my first practice shot I do it as if I was shooting a real buck and my first shot is always bullseye even if I don’t shoot in 4 months...

I bet I’ll hit bullseye with my first set of fletched arrows I showed off the the night...... 

anyone can muddy the water that’s the problem but when u have something to loose most likely you would keep your mouth shut

Well you are not the only one. If you read my post I also set up for 40 yard shots  because I feel more confident in making 40 than 20 for reasons already stated in this thread. 

and yes despite him calling twice to answer his challenge. Here is his quote: 

“So if anyone wants to prove me wrong with just a stationary target let’s do it. So far all I hear is silence and excuses for guys not willing to try. 
Why is that? Because people are concerned they may not make the shot. “

he did shut up very quickly when he was challenged with something to loose. 

8 minutes ago, Monster Marine said:

Buck, entrance wound, exit wound, heart, me with the buck

we we’re going for the garden gnome look lol

maybe it was my Irish lucky charm... if that’s not an affective range I don’t know what is 

rage broad head 

46149DE0-EF68-445E-915D-4EFB856FC5E7.jpeg

25DCB5B7-E624-43A9-9813-BAE02ADD359D.jpeg

9E00003E-A279-4A22-A1DE-FB8566DAE167.jpeg

1E608A45-3ECA-461D-A153-C1D9B9F98929.jpeg

0B3BA104-880F-408E-8B7F-40A40B5ADE2B.jpeg

292C0349-597F-42D5-BEB0-994BB1BD5BB4.jpeg

Nice job buddy :up:

40 yards for me - and it has to be the perfect scenario.  realistically over 90% of my kills have been 25 yards or less though, and many within that are under 20...    I am using a Trophy Ridge 5 pin with REACT technology. Set your 20 and 30 and the next 3 pins auto calculate.  So far so good.   I tried that IQ sight on this TRIAX first but hated it - it would not hold zero was constantly chasing it.   It was defective.    

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

The distance I hunt varies depending on the property I’m on, by no means am I trying to be a big shot the property in Chester gets no trespassers ... the property in hillsborough nj the farmer doesn’t post the farm he gets lots of trespassers hunters that come off the train tracks near rt206... countless times I’ve had guys walk thru while hunting 

my Veterans Day buck was on the trail of a doe in heat who walked by a few minutes b4 when I first saw him he was over 100 yards away and slowly walked the same path she took did I mention I use a VERIFIER in my peep to clear my pins he came 22yards from me and that was it....

3 days b4 he walked by my stand but at 56yards and moving way too fast....
here’s a pic of my hillsborough stand 23 yards very dense 

39C41B3B-735D-46C8-A03E-EBE6CCE63131.jpeg