IGNORED

Euros done

Finally got around to finishing my bucks from the last 2 years.  Had last years sitting in a bucket of water from Nov to May.  That worked pretty well with a little help from the powerwasher.  Other one I never finished simmering off all the meat. Put that one in water for a month to soften it back up then finished simmering it. Simmered them both in dawn and water then bleached them after they dried. 

15915634683381413040288406150551.thumb.jpg.10ad28c5293f8963afc096e92ca1d494.jpg

9 hours ago, trapperjake said:

They look good. Have you bleached skulls before? Only asking because I've been told it makes the bone brittle, chalky and flake off.  

I have 4 or 5 others that I did since around 2010.  None of those problems.  The last one I did with soaking in water smelled pretty bad and the bone seemed to be softened, allowing the nose bones to come off easily when powerwashing, before bleaching.  Had to glue those back on.  I did just read that you shouldn't use clorinated water to soak them in, which I use town water, and I let it sit all winter, freezing and thawing.  I would not recommend doing it that way unless it's warm out and you can keep it far away where you won't smell it.  Dawn did take most of the smell out of the bone, and a paste of baking soda with peroxide would most likely eliminate the smell while bleaching.  I've only used clairol BW2 powder and pure white liquid to bleach mine.

Edited by Greybeard