IGNORED

First Turkey Harvest Stories

deadonshot2

That thing looks like a beast in a half from picture. I thought maybe 28-29 pounds live weight from that picture. Either way it was a gorgeous bird.

My first bird only weighted 19 pounds before being gutted. LOL. My best is just over 25 pounds which is the last bird I killed. I haven't turkey hunted since. 

2008, my second year turkey hunting. I was working a bird on other side of field about 80 yds away  that would not come any closer, he eventually walked back into the woods. I gave him another half hour and nothing. I start cutting through the woods to head over to another field and I hear gobbling that couldn't have been more than 50- 60 yds away. I rush to put hen decoy into the ground and sit against small tree. I hit box call and he responds and is getting closer. Get gun ready and I see him pop out from some thick stuff and is at 20 yds.... Boom!

IMG_20200413_182852383.jpg

Edited by 3Blade

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I will always be chasing my first bird. Started at one spot and nothing. Made a quick move down the street to another spot. Parked, got out of my car and a bird was gobbling hard, but in a safety zone. Started moving away and calling and he was following. Set up in a hunt able area and right as i got eyes on him a doe walked within 5 ft of me and he shut up and dissapeared. She fed by me for 5 min, then moved off. I called again and he was right there, but in a ditch. He came up but was behind a tree. When he gobbled his head would stick out from behind the tree. I called, then timed the gobble and blew his head off. He had an 11.5 in beard, 1 5/8 spurs, and was 22lbs. Never bested him. I was so excited I met up with my mentor at his house after checking and he was like i never saw spurs like that. My mentor passed this year so Ill be trying to get a good one at his favorite spot he put  me on. Never felt pressure like this. Good luck to everyone!

Got my first turkey on my property in upstate NY in 2000 . I had bought the property a few years prior and had never turkey hunted before. I taught myself all the basics and it took me a couple years of trial and error before I got this bird. He didn't come easy. It was around 9 am and I was calling from a high spot. He respond a good ways off in a creek bottom area. He didn't come straight in. He worked slowly in on a semi-circle in front of me from right to left. After about 45 minutes he finally came in close enough for the shot. He was a smart old bird. I was pleased to get such a nice first bird all on my own.

IMG_2480.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 4/13/2020 at 4:43 PM, deadonshot2 said:

Like the title reads. Let's hear about your first turkey kill.  Let's talk turkey.

My first turkey kill was on opening morning of A week years ago. I scouted a spot and had several gobblers strutting in the field. But there was also another truck watching them. I decided I would get there an extra hour early in the morning. Well I was not there first. As I walked into the field with my light on I was greeted by a light shining back at me from about 500-600 yards away. As I continued the hundred yards to the spot I planned to set up, the other guy was going nuts with flashing that light.  

Well all set up and hoping I was in the right spot. I was startled close to fly down by a gobble right behind me. Crap this turkey is literally right behind me. So the second it was legal I hit the slate a few times lightly. Out of no where there is a turkey going to my left but could not tell if it was a tom. So I literally scratched the slate twice and dropped it in my lap and put the gun up. A second after gun was up a tom pops up right in front of blind and bang.  First turkey down and also had a band hanging from its leg. When I retrieved my tom I looked towards where the other guy was set up and there was a tom about 100-150 yards from his blind located in the middle of the field. As I started walking out I saw a hen-- oh crap a hen decoy. Yet another guy set up right as you enter the field. So I had guys to both my right and left. It was crazy fast and obviously yet another guy was watching those birds the day before.

Great Thread! Post up a few pictures of you with a Gobbler. My 1st Bird and my last- #121 is coming up in a few minutes.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

On 4/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, Tarhunt said:

I was also fortunate enough to get a permit in 1981. I hunted near the Delaware Water Gap and on my very first time going, I was able to call in a nice tom and shot him at 15 yards. 

Man it sounds like you guys in 1981 had all of the easy birds! Like shooting fish in a barrel back then!! LOL just kidding. One of my favorite wild game success stories. Awesome to hear these stories. 

It was probably about three years ago now. I had scouted the area good and the birds were hitting this particular field every morning. Goal was to be there before light, opening morning, but I was working the night before. I get stuck at work, rush to the woods. I get there and don’t even change into my camo hunting clothes, I take my rain gear so I can literally throw it on top of my clothes. Strap my gun to my back and at this point it’s light out. I start jogging to the field I should already be sitting on. I’m running down a trail that runs along side an overgrown old field that’s super thick. At the corner of this thicket, I just need to turn left and the trail runs right into the field. I’m getting close to the corner and all of a sudden I hear a gobble rip off from the field. I stop running, zip my jacket up and grab my slate call. I hit the call and a gobbler thunders back immediately. I hit it again and again an immediate gobble. The next gobble I realize the gobbler is running right towards me! I quickly grab a shell and load my gun. At this point I know the gobbler is running down the trail I should have walked down and is heading right towards me. I’m standing at this corner, unable to peer into the field and just waiting. I have my gun up and ready, waiting for a turkey to turn the corner. All of a sudden, the turkey comes running right up to the corner into my view, he immediately stops 10 yards away from me, knows something isn’t right and has that “oh no!” Look on his face (if a turkey could ever have that face lol). I settle my gun right on his head, pull the trigger and he immediately drops. No rolling, no tossing, no flopping. Just a dead turkey lol. I was so happy! I’ve been addicted ever since. 

DAF1739F-FDCA-47F5-AC10-F4A218B6DB39.jpeg

591AC0AC-28BA-48F2-B531-60BA1D3708B9.jpeg

For me it was sometime in the early 90's right after the Desert Storm War, I was on FT Dix and had been seeing turkeys in the back training areas and mentioned it to my son Dave who wanted to go but he had never been out so he said that he would do the research and learn how to call and when the season started we could go out together and he would call for us. He was obcessed with then idea of shooting a turkey so we got our permits and out we went. Dave had the calling down like a pro and he shot the first bird, we were seperated by about 20 yards and the bird came in close to him, it was a big bird with two beards one  real long and the other about 1/2 that size.  We moved out position about a mile and Dave started calling again and immediately a group of birds started calling back. I ws really pumped because I could see them coming right to me, I do not remember how many were  coming in but I do remember it was a LOT of birds, when the 1st Tom was  close enough to shoot I took the shot and that started a passion that has not ended to this day. Dave has only shot one bird with the gun and it was that day ever since he has hunted every year with the bow and he and I have lots of good memories. In this case SON taught POP how to hunt turkeys. I wish I had a picture from that 1st day but I do not but here is a pick of him and I a lot of years later still hunting together. Now he take me hunting instead of me taking him, A GREAT SON WHO IS PASSIONET ABOUT THE SPORT and rarely uses a gun almost always a BOW.

SCREEN SAVER 1.JPG

Turkey6.JPG

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I tagged along on some turkey hunts when I was really young and fell in love with it.  In 1986 (I was 14 years old) I finally drew a NJ tag.  Tags were an actual lottery back then and hard to come by.  Plus, I believe you were only allowed to apply for one week/ on bird.  Anyway, I would wake up every morning before school and listen on a high point on a mountain behind my house.  I listened, watched, and photographed 3 big toms almost every morning prior to my season.  Finally, opening day came.  I walked back with my father to the area I had scouted (he had no clue where he was, lol!). He sat on a power line listening and let me go “do my thing”.  I set up about 150 yards away from Dad but what I thought was within 75 yards of the boss toms roost.  Morning broke and they started to gobble but to my surprise where almost on top of my father.  I gave a few yelps from my Lynch box call and the next gobble he was on the ground closer to me.  After a few moments of silence, I yelped on my well practiced mouth calls.  A gobble erupted on top of me.  About 35 yards away I see a bright red, white, and blue head of the big Tom.  I raised my belgium browning 12ga auto 5, took a good aim, and sent a load of #4 federal premium toward him.  The woods went silent and a brief sense of disappointment and confusion hit me, I thought I missed.  I then see a slight flutter of a big bird dead in the scrub oak. Woo hoo, my first turkey (and first animal) is down and did it all myself.  I screamed to Dad as he come running toward me.  A great congratulations and celebratory hugs, great day!  One of my best memories not just because of the kill but the work I put into this hunt and being there with my father on such a day.

4E85D767-3625-4EAC-B18F-4FD256FA8DE2.jpeg

Edited by Gobblengrunt

My first Turkey was killed by my 13 YO Son. It was back in the early days of the reopening of Turkey Hunting in NJ when it was difficult to get a permit. I think Juveniles were given preferences because the previous year my Twin Sons both got permits too. 

I had never Turkey hunted. I took my Twins over 20 years ago for the first time with no success. They were "teenagers". Wanted to sleep more than hunt. I have video of them sleeping while Turkey are gobbling in the backround. 

The next year I took my younger Son. I told my Twins, "I will kill a Turkey this year with your Brother." Well opening day we set up and called all morning in various spots with no luck. We settled down in a hedgerow and took a "nap". I got up and did a random call and got an immediate response. I could hear the Turkey coming closer with each gobble. He was coming right down the hedgerow. I told my Son to get ready. As the Turkey passed in front of us, I was wondering when he was going to shoot. Finally he did and cleanly killed the bird at about 20 yds. 

Well I was ecstatic to say the least. I took pictures and discussed the experience with him. He didn't look overjoyed so I asked him why? He said, "now I have to quit hunting for the season". LOL

I think it was 2000. I had some longbeards pegged. Roosting same tree every day for months. I got done work at 2 am. Ran to my parents house to catch a quick nap. Woke up around 7:30. I was furious. Had a 15 minute drive to my spot. Ran back to a blind I had made. Sat in my chair and loaded up. Within a minute. 3 toms walked out to my decoy and I had my first Tom. Right at 19 lbs

Edited by Buckeyes11