IGNORED

4/7/20 - 2020 Trout Fishing Update

I walked in to fish for a few at the Mountain Farm Pond this week. Thought I would be alone, as how many people would actually trout fish in a pond setting. This was my first experience doing this as I only wanted to cast a few spinners and go for a walk. Surprisingly, there were quite a few people fishing, empty powerbait bottles, and several dead trout in the shallows. Seems like it would have been much better to allow kids to keep fish if bait was allowed. Hope this never happens again, just a learning experience. In any case, it was my first and last pond experience for trout.

9 minutes ago, Jerzguy2 said:

I walked in to fish for a few at the Mountain Farm Pond this week. Thought I would be alone, as how many people would actually trout fish in a pond setting. This was my first experience doing this as I only wanted to cast a few spinners and go for a walk. Surprisingly, there were quite a few people fishing, empty powerbait bottles, and several dead trout in the shallows. Seems like it would have been much better to allow kids to keep fish if bait was allowed. Hope this never happens again, just a learning experience. In any case, it was my first and last pond experience for trout.

Yup....kids shuda been allowed to keep em!!  Another missed opportunity to recruit future license buyers by the State!!

After all..... the governor closed state parks....those trout are wasted and kids could have been keeping em for the past week!

i feel like all the people who wouldve fished the waters that are now closed might end up in waters that arent which would def cause a lot more people in those spaces. As people try to maintain 6' of space often along rivers there is a small path to move up and down on and people will surely end up passing by on those paths closer than they would like. not sure murphy will get the desired results

14 hours ago, Sako76 said:

I don't eat trout.but I don't understand why they didn't let people keep fish before opening day, what a waste!

I'm not sure how I follow you?  So all anglers got a couple of extra weeks of stupid fishing for hordes of fresh stokers for C&R angling only, and will on Saturday be able to creel up to six fish.  How is that a "waste"?  The fish are all still there minus a few poorly handled or deeply hooked.  And I bet most anglers didn't know that we catch only 20% of stocked trout the Division puts into our rivers and streams in the first place.    

13 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I'm not sure how I follow you?  So all anglers got a couple of extra weeks of stupid fishing for hordes of fresh stokers for C&R angling only, and will on Saturday be able to creel up to six fish.  How is that a "waste"?  The fish are all still there minus a few poorly handled or deeply hooked.  And I bet most anglers didn't know that we catch only 20% of stocked trout the Division puts into our rivers and streams in the first place.    

And only 10 % of the fishermen catch that 20%:happywave:

2 hours ago, TroutandBucks said:

Also keeping trout should not be the only way to get kids to stay interested in fishing. Showing them the proper catch and release and to teach them proper sportsmen ship that's the key 

You can teach a person to be  "proper sportsman" by keeping trout, correct?   The same way you can when you kill a deer or a pheasant or any game animal.

If you choose to release your fish it is your prerogative but it does not make you any less of a 'sportsman"  if you choose to keep your fish. 

24 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

You can teach a person to be  "proper sportsman" by keeping trout, correct?   The same way you can when you kill a deer or a pheasant or any game animal.

If you choose to release your fish it is your prerogative but it does not make you any less of a 'sportsman"  if you choose to keep your fish. 

My post had nothing to do with saying keeping fishing isn't sportsman like. It was to say that keeping trout isn't the only way to get kids hooked on trout fishing or fishing in general. 

AWM #2

1 hour ago, TroutandBucks said:

My post had nothing to do with saying keeping fishing isn't sportsman like. It was to say that keeping trout isn't the only way to get kids hooked on trout fishing or fishing in general. 

A Lot easier to have a 6 yr old play w a pen raised trout in a bucket then bring it home for dinner ....than try to explain its catch n release season due to the coronavirus pandemic and we have to wait til opening day to keep any.

Now we have to explain to the kids we can't fish in the state park for opening day when we would normally be allowed to keep the trout because the governor closed the park. 

Kids should be able to keep trout year round....getting them started is our future.