IGNORED

4/7/20 - 2020 Trout Fishing Update

17 minutes ago, Sako76 said:

B&B--so if only 20% of the stocked fish are caught , what's the problem?  And it's more than a few that get put back and die.

I do not believe that number, if that were the case our holdover streams would be loaded with fish

17 hours ago, bucky said:

I do not believe that number, if that were the case our holdover streams would be loaded with fish

Scientifically proven by Division biologist Ross Shramko.  Predation  takes most of the rest.  Holdovers average less than 10% in most studies that I've seen from various states.   

17 hours ago, rgw said:

I believe it, you have no idea how many trout get eaten by birds, mink and otter. They eat a ton of fish

IMO, otters take the lion's share of trout out of the Flatbrook.  Never have I seen so many slides in winter in the snow as I do on that river.  Add eagles, osprey and the mink and stupid stockies don't stand much of a chance.   

4 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

IMO, otters take the lion's share of trout out of the Flatbrook.  Never have I seen so many slides in winter in the snow as I do on that river.  Add eagles, osprey and the mink and stupid stockies don't stand much of a chance.   

My dad fished the Gorge 4/5 days a week for many many years.

He said mink  were always catching fish there . and claimed they outfished any fisherman on the river.

said when there was low activity  he saw the all the time.

yet many claim its only a small portion of their diet.

Ospreys have been all over the musky and the North Branch the last few weeks

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

On 4/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, hammer4reel said:

My dad fished the Gorge 4/5 days a week for many many years.

He said mink  were always catching fish there . and claimed they outfished any fisherman on the river.

said when there was low activity  he saw the all the time.

yet many claim its only a small portion of their diet.

Ospreys have been all over the musky and the North Branch the last few weeks

I probably met your dad a few times.  I lived 2 miles from the Gorge for years and saw mink almost every time I fished.  The fishing was way, way better back then and prior to 2013 when the brown trout were still in production at Pequest.