IGNORED

first Turkey Hunt ,

Capt Hook

Gotta set your budget...how much you wanna spend.  I just 

use the bead on the gun.   

Determine if you like scope(cross hair) or a red dot type sight.  

Being shots will be inside 50 yards I feel there is no need to for a high power scope. A fixed 2.5x is plenty in my opinion.  

As for dot type sights see if you can try the different colors ones. You may prefer a certain color over another. Also try at range on a bright sunny day. You may not be a fan of one when the sun can make the red dot not so bright. 

Try the gun without sights first. You may prefer it. Add a bead at the mid point on the barrel. Line up both beads , it forces you to keep your head down... looking down the barrel versus possibly lowering the stock. Load impact may suffer. 

4 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

I just use the bead on the end of the barrel.

This is what I use with a snap on HiViz sight. Too many people overcomplicate turkey hunting

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

33 minutes ago, Buckeyes11 said:

The bead will work fine. Too many people worry about shooting long range instead of calling and decoy position. 

Although fairly new to turkey hunting going into season 6 I've killed 2 birds with decoys.  Most of my birds have been by getting them gobbling than being quiet

Just use the bead.  I think it’s easiest and it costs nothing unlike a scope.  Just make sure it’s in a range where you will put the turkey down for me my ranges are as follows..

10ga full choke =50-55yds

12ga full choke=45-50yds

20ga full choke 40yds

Funny thing is I’ve either killed most of my turkeys at like 10yds or less or 50plus yards.  

Where you place your decoys is the key.  I also like to setup near breaks in rock walls as its the path of least resistance for the Turks!

good luck!

Congrats hook. I was 56 before I went on my first spring turkey hunting hunt. most awesome amazing experience the sun risingand you hear the gospels as they leave the trees!zero the first year. I made mistakes on opportunities. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. Second season d week back-to-back 2cd 3rd Saturday. Lessons learned? DO NOT over call! If your vision is bad get a holographic sight. Ammo wise Winchester long beard #5's and a good choke kill @ 60'.!Good Luck!

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

15 minutes ago, Capt Hook said:

anyone tell me what is a good chair to use for turkey

hunting ?

Are you going to be in a blind,  if not I found the lower the better to break up your out line.  A turkey vest will have a cushion a higher end vest will have a back support you can lean on..  I use a beard buster vest with cushion and lean against a tree.  Here is one with back support

Screenshot_20200201-213212_Web Browser.jpg

Edited by vdep217