IGNORED

what would cause this behavior with my arrows

mazzgolf

I believe what Gobblengrunt posted about eye dominance and BowhunterNJ stated are most likely the issues or combination thereof. Bow torque to me may also be a bigger part, have you tried shooting with different hand positions? With an arrow on your bow but not drawn, if you view from behind and line the arrow up with the string is the string inline with the cams and what is your pin relation to the string? 

AWM

36 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

With an arrow on your bow but not drawn, if you view from behind and line the arrow up with the string is the string inline with the cams and what is your pin relation to the string?

Hmmm... This is interesting.

I didn't pay attention to the cams, but I made sure the level bubble is centered, and I did look at the position of the string compared to the arrow... now, correct me if I'm wrong but.. shouldn't the string "cover" the arrow and at the same time cover the sight pins (which would mean the string is directly inline with the arrow inline with the sight)?

I just took a video of me holding the bow and I just twisted my wrist to slightly turn the bow. Below are some screenshots of the video.

As I twisted the bow, the vertical string goes from left of the arrow, to center (covering the arrow), to right of the arrow. So I just did a sweep of the string from left to right.

Now, take a look at where the string is when it's covering the arrow compared to the sight dots, and take a look at where the arrow is when the string covers the sight dots:

String is left of the arrow:

string-left.jpg.b6b71c4ade4ae2febe928c6baaca6331.jpg

String is centered covering the arrow (notice where the string is compared to the sight dots):

string-center.jpg.59ed1150c86c3ff73c6a0e5d70b8ac2d.jpg

String is right of the arrow (notice where the string is compared to the sight dots - string is covering the dots):

string-right.jpg.a312ad99fa992949f33144224ab966e8.jpg

When the string covers the arrow, the string is just left of the sight dots (if I were to shoot, that's the spot (just left of the sight dots) where the arrow hits the target. That's my "the arrow keeps hitting left" spot - and its where I aim when I try to compensate for this -- remember that second diagram in my OP? Compare that to the second image above).

When the string covers the sight dots, the arrow is ever-so-slightly pointing left (???).

Um... this is bad right? :headscratch:

5 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I didn't pay attention to the cams, but I made sure the level bubble is centered, and I did look at the position of the string compared to the arrow... now, correct me if I'm wrong but.. shouldn't the string "cover" the arrow and at the same time cover the sight pins (which would mean the string is directly inline with the arrow inline with the sight)?

I just took a video of me holding the bow and I just twisted my wrist to slightly turn the bow. Below are some screenshots of the video.

As I twisted the bow, the vertical string goes from left of the arrow, to center (covering the arrow), to right of the arrow. So I just did a sweep of the string from left to right.

Now, take a look at where the string is when it's covering the arrow compared to the sight dots, and take a look at where the arrow is when the string covers the sight dots:

String is centered covering the arrow (notice where the string is compared to the sight dots):

String is right of the arrow (notice where the string is compared to the sight dots - string is covering the dots):

When the string covers the arrow, the string is just left of the sight dots (if I were to shoot, that's the spot (just left of the sight dots) where the arrow hits the target. That's my "the arrow keeps hitting left" spot - and its where I aim when I try to compensate for this -- remember that second diagram in my OP? Compare that to the second image above).

When the string covers the sight dots, the arrow is ever-so-slightly pointing left (???).

Bingo

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

My pins are just outside my string when it’s inline with my arrow. It’s probably a torque issue. When you draw back and are holding the bow the way you normally do look up at your cam. The string should be coming straight off of it. Then torque your wrist left and right to see if you are holding it right.  While you’re doing that look for cam lean where the cables pull the cam to one side more than the other. 

18 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

You’re getting closer to understanding the set up. Now go one step further. Again with the bow at rest and an arrow on it. View from behind again but now look at the cam from directly behind and square it so its straight( you won’t be able to see the left or right side only the string in the groove) now look down and see the relationship of which way your arrow is pointing( straight, left or right of string) and your pins also

AWM

Mazz your pics show it all.Shot recurves most of my life.You can set um down for years,no change.Not so with a compound!Things to consider,Cam axle weàr..Pics truly show your bow is not centershot!you may have over adjusted pins.Need to start over!Adjust rest.with arrow knocked don't draw.Hold bow out in front of you. It can't be canted.Easy square sit at a table press bow limb to edge to steady.Lean back.with your other arm not holding the bow stretch it out.Hold up middle finger.lol.Both eys open,then close right eye,you claiming to be a lefty finger should not have moving off poi,now if you close your left eye it will.Now assuming your a left eye dominant. Close your right eye look down the arrow,does it align down the middle of the arrow?If not adjust rest/plunger.Now go shoot adjust pins.

bow_setup_tuning (3).pdf

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

3 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Thanks.. lost track of the questions :) The bow is a simple BowTech/Diamond InfiniteEdge with basic rest and 5-pin sight (yes with a bubble level, though I only pay attention to it sometimes) and a trio-peep - nothing fancy, nothing custom (well, I guess except the trio-peep, which I asked for when I bought it). When I played with adjusting the sight (I did that over the summer, I can't remember exactly), all I remember is I kept adjusting the sight to try to pull the arrow to the right. And every time I did that, I would shoot and I would still see the arrow a couple inches to the left of where I was aiming. The locking nuts are tight - the sight doesn't move. I can't remember if the shot group was moving right (it had to be - I mean, the sight was getting adjusted more and more, so unless my anchor points got all screwed up, the groups had to have been moving right at some point) but all I remember is I kept saying to myself, "how is it possible I keep adjusting this sight further and further and my arrows are still consistently left of the aim point?".

This was all field points. But the broadheads I use (slick tricks) fly almost the same as my field points.

Interesting thought about the rest - I never touched the rest (it's not a biscuit, it's one of those brush rests with the three small brushes). Hasn't been touched since it was paper-tuned from the shop 5 or so years ago or whenever it was. What should I look for to see if the rest needs adjusting? (again, though, I won't be messing with it until after hunting season - I can deal with aiming a couple inches right for now - I'll figure out the problem in the spring).

I don't feel I have target panic. I mean, I don't feel like I'm jerking anything, my breathing feels under control, the elevation on my shots are good, and the shot groups aren't that bad (I'm not saying I'm Robin Hood'ing my arrows, but the groups are good enough for what I need. I might get a flyer here or there, but that's typical of me :)). 

Mazz,

I used to have the same exact bow and I found it would have an issue with Cam timing. As soon as it would be set correctly, I had heart shots...but it seemed to go out of time each season..but that would cause inconsistent shots. It's worth checking.

tough to tell from those pics, but seems your pins are too far to the right when the arrow centers them

Also seems to me that there is a pretty big distance from your string nock to your peep site/

( approx. how many inches is it )

take a picture where the string can be seen where it is in relationship to the handle so can see your rest alignment 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, Hitemnasty said:

My pins are just outside my string when it’s inline with my arrow. It’s probably a torque issue. When you draw back and are holding the bow the way you normally do look up at your cam. The string should be coming straight off of it. Then torque your wrist left and right to see if you are holding it right.  While you’re doing that look for cam lean where the cables pull the cam to one side more than the other. 

That's what I say. Left handed he will torque to the left. 

mazzgolf.... Do you hold the bow? You should not be gripping the bow at all. Open hand when you draw and then just relax the hand/grip. Wrist strap on the bow will make sure the bow won't fall. You have a wrist strap on there right?

If your point of impact is consistent and you are always aiming in the same spot, it's likely the pin is off and needs an adjustment. It's an easy fix but you may want to wait until after season. I would start there and then eliminate other things one at a time.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Just for clarity, you are moving the pins towards the error correct?  When I set up sights I shoot longer distances to expose the problem more easily.  That also forces a solid hold/release mentally.  To me, no matter what the problem is mechanically, moving the pin must change the impact.   Check the error at 10, 25, 50.