IGNORED

Ok lets talk fluke baits !!!!

FishNHard

So in the past ive tried the buck tail tiped with gulp and teaser in never caught crap, wait maybe a skate ,tried and tried nota, went back to the stone age 3 way swivel with squid and gulp or squid and killie, ive seen guys post that thy killem on the bucktail rig but when you try and try and nothing you kinda loose confidence in using it  so what are your guys go to setup , I also know theirs guys who would  rather you tap the wife or GF then give up that info LOL and that's ok if you hold your tried and true setup to yourself .:rofl:

I like fishing both methods but more I bucktail with gulp teaser the more I like it.  I am a former hardcore offshore /pelagic fisherman converted to fluke/seabass... Love it...   Learning from the best on here when it comes to bucktailing and gulp.   There is more to it than the rig, there is a touch/feel to it but suffice to say lightest bucktail you can use and keep in contact with bottom is best scenario.  I like the 5" gulp grub for bucktail, and a 5 or 6" for the dropper above it.  Hooks are very important on both bucktail and the dropper.   Right size, gap, and sharp.      I like one rig on a good quality baitcaster and one on a light spinning rod for those light to no drift days then even scale down further on the bucktail size and cast cast cast.   Make your own action. 

All that being said, I have caught some damn nice fluke up to my PB on long strip baits (9-12" long).   Salmon or Shad.      I will still revert to bait dragging at times.  if not fishing snags love to dead stick a bait and work a bucktail, best of both. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

14 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Depends what the intention of the trip is.  Pleasure and mest 8n box I fish normal baits tournament fishing long strip baits and big gulp..I have used live spot during fluke tournaments as well

For really big fluke in tournament I go live dogfish or striper. That’s how I roll. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

If you can’t catch fluke CONSISTANTLY on bucktails and GULP

your doing something wrong.

either not swimming the jig enough, or not on the bottom .

cant drag a bucktail . It takes constant work to know where it is.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I am not a believer in the big baits=big fish theory. I have seen more pool winning fish caught on a 1-2oz ball jig with a 4-6” gulp grub than anything else. Period. 

The only time I switch to anything different is on the days the current is ripping I will tie on a viper spoon with a strip or a whole squid. If I can’t hold bottom with a 6 oz jig this is what I switch to. Very rarely will this happen but viper spoons have saved my ass on some crappy tournament days in the past.

I have done bait dragging and bucktailing. I take the bucktail and gulp over dragging bait any day. 

Live peanut bunker or live snappers have their times during the year for big fish for sure. Real good if no drift.

Long strip baits work good too if in the ocean. 

All in all gulp and bucktail for numbers and big fish. Smaller bay fishing i use as light as 1/4 oz to 1 oz but in the ocean i mostly fish 4 oz and have no problem using a 8 oz jig. Deep and rough bottom.

49 minutes ago, FishNHard said:

Thanks for the info guys looks like using the bucktail for the first time I wasn't fishing the correctly just letting it drag like a bank sinker ,looks like ill need to practice it a bit more ...

You want to swim the bait like you would expect a minnow to swim along the bottom.

then drop down occasionally to make sure your close to the bottom.

that looks like the baitfish just fed on something .

eratic motions cause hits .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/