IGNORED

Muzzleloader suggestions.....from A to Z...

nmc02

Take this advice OR leave it.....last time  I am giving it. I have shot pellets (many brands), loose powder, etc...there is no better than Blackhorn 209. I don't work for them, no affiliation. When I first shot Blackhorn and their staff said you could shoot up to 50 shots without cleaning the barrel,  I said BULLSHIT! It tried and it is true. I tried many bullets...hornady, Thompson,  barnes, and powerbelt. Yup...powerbelt are great for accuracy on paper..maybe the best. However, their performance on game sucks. I strongly recommend the Barnes spit fire expander in the tmz or tez...accurate and puts them down. Lastly, the gun...Thompson once was the premier gun. Almost no comparison. Unfortunately,  they were bought by smith & Wesson and their quality is in the toilet. CVA really stepped up their game and guarentee satisfaction...I like their Accura rifle....still prefer the knight rifles. They have better stocks & triggers,  but cost considerably more. Take my advice...blackhorn, barnes bullets, and a cva accura or knight ultralite.  Good luck.

Anything I ever hit with a Powerbelt dropped in it's tracks, I have no complaints with them

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

i shot a few different Powerbelts on many deer over the years.

Very inconsistent performance on deer. Easy to load. Good on paper. 

i switched to 300gr Shockwave.

just as good on paper. way better on deer. 

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

Old news on the black horn.  I’m not sure why most haven’t switched to it. It’s a no brainer. As far as power belts go..... I shoot the aero lites not aero tip and they are devasting on game with rifle like accuracy out of my cva. No reason to change for me.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PowerBelt-AeroLite-Muzzleloader-Bullets-Per/1229706.uts

20 minutes ago, Mallard1100 said:

Old news on the black horn.  I’m not sure why most haven’t switched to it. It’s a no brainer. As far as power belts go..... I shoot the aero lites not aero tip and they are devasting on game with rifle like accuracy out of my cva. No reason to change for me.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PowerBelt-AeroLite-Muzzleloader-Bullets-Per/1229706.uts

The downside to these is the cost. About twice as much as any other bullet. If you only shoot a couple a year, it's irrelevant I guess. 

4 hours ago, nmc02 said:

The aerolite are designed to use w a maximum charge of 100 grains of pellets. I shoot max charges

Maybe thats the issue. I shoot magnum charges, 150gr or 3 white hots. Harvesters shot best for me. 100gr of powder may not push that dum dum powerbelt fast enough to do damage. I have read plenty of negative things about them.

5 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

Problem with Blackhorn is some of the older guns can't shoot it. If you have a newer gun its a no brainer. For me, I have an original MK-85 still using black powder and wouldn't change for anything. Guys who have these guns know what I'm talking about.

I still have the BK-92