IGNORED

Permethrin

Tractor supply carries the 10% concentrate suitable for this purpose.  All insecticides are potentially harmful to you and your pet. 

You will need to weigh the risk of ticks/fleas vs endocrine disrupting permethrin.  An application of a diluted solution of the stuff

works well to keep the ticks off both you(your clothing only) and your dog.  Directions are on the package.  The stuff is probably also available online from ebay, or from keystone pest solutions.

Spray it on your dog. 

It is labeled for livestock.  What really is the difference unless your dog spends time in the house with family?  It is not labeled for human application or dog application in the first place.  What does the label really mean?  It costs money to get approval for application onto each animal on the label.  Of course it is effective for the purposes discussed it is no different from any other permethrin.

Topspot applications of pesticides are even worse for your dog's health as it is a concentrated application on your dog's skin.

The dog is therefore systemically poisoned this being far different than a diluted solution on the dog's hair.

Edited by tick trawler

1oz of 10% permethrin(petroleum based) mixed with 24 oz water will give you the .5%  solution that is recommended for clothes, and is the % that is in the bottles of the premixed expensive stuff.  Bottles of dog spray have about .3% permethrin.  1oz mixed with 28oz of water worked fine on my clothes. 1/2 oz to 20-24 oz water will probably work fine on dogs.  Just fine mist the hair without working it in.  I only spray outer clothing, and let it dry on the clothes before wearing.  I haven't had a tick on me since starting to use it 3 years ago.

Type "permethrin" in the search box - lots of threads on here about it.

I've since found 13.3% concentrate that is formulated better for clothing - so I bought it and will be using this now:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-133-32-oz

You can see the manufacturer here explicitly says you can use it on carpet, bedding, and fabrics - so I assume it will work just as well on clothing:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/www.agrian.com/pdfs/Permethrin_13.3_Label1g.pdf

If you pour 5 ounces of 13.3% into a gallon of water, you get 0.5% solution.
(dilution equation: 13.3% x 5 = 0.5% x 133)

17 hours ago, RPK0620 said:

NO, NO, NO  do not spray on your dog !

I don't have a dog, so can't say either way. But the label says this for dogs:

PESTS ON DOGS (READ ENTIRE LABEL BEFORE EACH USE. USE ONLY ON DOGS.

Fleas, Ticks, including Deer Tick, Lice and Mange

Dilute 8 oz. in 16.5 gal. water

Do not repeat treatment for seven (7) days. Do not use on puppies under twelve (12) weeks. Consult a veterinarian before using this product on debilitated, aged, pregnant, nursing or medicated animals. Thoroughly wet the animal by dipping, sponging or spraying. Allow animal to dry in a warm place without rinsing or toweling. Gives long lasting protection against reinfestation. Apply at intervals of 2 to 3 weeks. Sensitivies may occur after using ANY pesticide product for pets. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe your pet with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult a veterinarian immediately. In case of an emergency, call 1-800-548-2423 (Animal Poison Control Center)

Edited by mazzgolf

Modern veterinarians are the new pesticide dealers! 

They are counting on you to report any sensitivities your pets are having due to pesticides they prescribe.  You can try out all the new pesticide goodies at the vet office!   Just consult a vet and everything will be ok!  The potent stuff yeah just pour that out on your dog and cat's neck.  When the ticks and fleas die drawing blood from your pet what do you think is happening inside your pet's body.  But go ahead and waste your time and money asking questions at the vet office.