IGNORED

Cold weather gear...

B B

I stocked up on First Lite this year. I was also due (or at least I convinced myself I was). It's slightly more affordable than Sitka's line. They have some good sales. Sign up for their mailing list. I went back and checked my inbox from last year, they had a 30-40% off all gear sale last black friday.

You can't go wrong with Sitka though. I only own one piece, their "mountain pant." Very impressed so far. 

I'm a big fan of firstlite stuff.  They aren't cheap but there merino stuff is second to none and blow away all other synthetics. I have the sanctuary jacket and it is a great piece of gear. Incredibly soft, quiet, and very warm. The bibs would be an awesome addition as well, but I have others that I wear for now.

https://www.firstlite.com/sanctuary-insulated-jacket-july-2014.html

I use my Carhartt bib in the woods if I don't have to walk and will be sitting a long time.  They stand up against briars, rocks, and other things that like to rip gear.  They are warm, and very easy to get in/out of.  Downsite, they suck to walk in.  If I am stalking I will wear wool.  But if you're going to be in the stand all day long and want to stay warm and dry, I went the Carhartt route.

https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-insulated-bib-and-coveralls/Duck-Bib-Overall-Arctic-Quilt-Lined-R03

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

1 hour ago, yoda4x4 said:

While I can't speak to their quality, I say this about Sitka. Make sure you try it on before you buy it. I tried the Incinerator jacket and the sleeves just felt tight to me; I'm not a fan of that. Mind you, I don't think I have big arms.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I had the exact same issue. I bought the whitetail fanatic jacket in my usual size large and the sleeves were skin tight! There's no way I could wear my wool sweater and base layer underneath, the body fit great though. So I upped a size to XL and the sleeves are still kinda tight and the body is much larger than I need but its so warm I don't need to put much under it even on the coldest days. My hands need to be forced through the cuffs. I was sold on it because its the only jacket with a hand warmer pouch pocket similar to my thiner Medalist Stalker jacket has that unfortunately isn't made anymore. Though Sitka is made with hunters needs in mind with the pockets and other features I think they are also too concerned about being photogenic! No reason for the gear to fit that tight other than it looks better in adds and pictures because tight gear isn't warm gear. But I notice that with a lot of the brands, I have to up a size for it to be functional in the field.

I can vouch for DayOne, I've had my parka and bib for many years now (like 15).  I mainly use the parka in cold temps with different bibs (waterproof layer the DayOne bibs don't have, maybe it can be added since they are custom?).

You guys make a strong case for the Sitka gear...definitely a hefty pricetag, but if you can hunt without the bulk, that's a huge bonus! :up:

Sitka is geared towards bow hunters. Especially the whitetail line. It’s not cut to have extra material for that reason. If you call and talk to them they will get you setup spot on for what you need. You don’t need to cram 20 layers under the gear. That’s why they make so many temp specific pieces. I have one a base layer, and then the outer garment and that’s it. I’m warmer wearing 2 total pieces of gear then when I used to wear 4/5 layers. And I can draw my bow and never feel bunched up. 

Sitka is geared towards bow hunters. Especially the whitetail line. It’s not cut to have extra material for that reason. If you call and talk to them they will get you setup spot on for what you need. You don’t need to cram 20 layers under the gear. That’s why they make so many temp specific pieces. I have one a base layer, and then the outer garment and that’s it. I’m warmer wearing 2 total pieces of gear then when I used to wear 4/5 layers. And I can draw my bow and never feel bunched up. 
I completely get that but when I tried the Incinerator jacket on, all I had on was a long sleeve shirt and the arms were tight. Some guys may not mind it that way but I didn't care for it. For me, at $600 this jacket better be the most comfortable thing ever; and it's not as it is.

David

20 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

Yup, that’s the deal. I wear my fanatic jacket, stratus bibs with nothing but Sitka thermals underneath and am warmer than when I used to wear 4-5 layers Predator hunting on January mornings. I’m not gonna say it doesn’t take some getting used to cuz it does. The sleeves are tighter than any hunting coat I’ve ever worn. But, the complete lack of bulk when putting up my rifle is unbelievable. I’m 5’7, have big arms(I’ve been an auto mechanic for 35 years) and have a too big belly. An xl is what I wear 

I completely get that but when I tried the Incinerator jacket on, all I had on was a long sleeve shirt and the arms were tight. Some guys may not mind it that way but I didn't care for it. For me, at $600 this jacket better be the most comfortable thing ever; and it's not as it is.

David

I agree, I absolutely hate tight fitting gear. Not bashing Sitka as a choice or the guys that swear by it but any draw back on a $600 piece of outerwear gets me looking elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM