IGNORED

good folding hunting knife?

mazzgolf

Buck 110 have been around for ever. Solid knife.

I love my work sharp for 90% of my knives but im not happy with it on the 110 

It's actually the only knife I won't use the work sharp on.

If would go to a sheath knife. The cutco with the double d edge is the last knife you will need.

I have one that had gutted over hundred deer before I sent it back you be  sharpened.

I keep it in my pack 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Buck154 said:

Havalon knives if you don't want to sharpening. Just replace the blade with a new. You won't find anything much sharper and easy. 

Chris reeves knife makes a havalon feel like a butter knife.

But they are big $$$$.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

12 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

But they are big $$$$.

Don't think anyone would ever need anything sharper for skinning or gutting a deer or any game.  Havalon are sharper than most guys would ever need!!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

But they are big $$$$.

Chris Reeves makes nice knives.  There are a ton of excellent makers out there nowadays.  My next hunting knife is probably going to be a Josh Scott. I'm also considering a knife from Builtwright Bladeworks, Black Roc, Josh Meyer, or maybe a Neil Kamimura.  All of these guys have lengthy waiting lists and I like all of their work so damn much that it's hard for me to decide sometimes.  

20 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Buck 110.. I have went to work sharp and love it..  I use two angles when sharpening and it seems to hold better..  when gutting deer I normally get 4 or 5 before I need to re sharpen

WHat do you mean by “using two angles?” I have a worksharp as well, just wondering if you’ve discovered some trick/tip that might make it even better?

30 years of hunting still have my first BUCK knife. 

Me too.  I also have my grandfathers Buck knife.  

Cutco make a phenomenal hunting knife.  I have the one with the gut hook.  they make it with our without.  Lifetime warranty includes sharpening.  It's super sharp, have the scars to prove it.  

You can't shoot them from the couch.

I have a shoe box sized bin full of hunting knives straight and folding. I am partial to Schrade and Case folding knives.  I have several straight knives. The only one I ever use is my 50+ year old Ontario with the hex pommel. I use it more as a good luck charm since I had it since my days in RVN. It is fastened to the fanny pack I use when scouting/hiking.  

I often lose knives when hunting. I had a Schrade Uncle Henry for many years and lost it about 20 years ago.  I had it in a velcro belt pouch (actually a magazine pouch). Backpacking the treestand must have unhooked the velcro. I realized it when I went to gut a deer. Thankfully there was someone there to borrow a knife.I cannot find the same knife anywhere. I found one similar, but smaller on Bud K. It's in my shoe box.  I have lost several knives on gut piles including a really nice Case Trapper. I also lost a custom made folder on another gut pile, but went back the next day and found it.  For this reason I never carry a knife on my belt and always carry several knives while hunting.

With regard to sharpening I bought one of those belt sander sharpeners last year. With that and a touch up on a hard Arkansas stone all my many knives "shave a har'" as per the Deliverance hillbilly. I also used it to sharpen a machete. I used the machete to clear some blowdown(snowdown) brush to access the TCA on the Pequannock River. It was cutting through 1"+ limbs in one swing

Edited by 230jhp

3 hours ago, Pathman said:

WHat do you mean by “using two angles?” I have a worksharp as well, just wondering if you’ve discovered some trick/tip that might make it even better?

Not sure what its called but Im essentially making an edge than making a finer edge..  not saying its better then any thing else but it works for me...  I use the green guide with the red belt till decently sharp..  than put  the grey guide on..  2 strokes each side than use  there grey belt alternating sides every stroke until I can shave with it...

Edited by vdep217

2 hours ago, Lady Bird said:

Me too.  I also have my grandfathers Buck knife.  

Cutco make a phenomenal hunting knife.  I have the one with the gut hook.  they make it with our without.  Lifetime warranty includes sharpening.  It's super sharp, have the scars to prove it.  

I have a Buck straight knife I only use to skin deer and I almost always bring deer to a butcher. A buck knife is supposed to hold an edge better then others. I don't see that with the one I have.  I have had to sharpen it several times.

I have a CUTCO  fillet knife that is awesome. The scabbard doubles as a hook sharpener and a forceps to hold a fish's lip while filleting . The blade can be extended from the handle to where it is almost a foot long