IGNORED

Is fluke fishing really worth it?

DBuck

59 minutes ago, Joint Venture said:

Great thread.  In regards to timing of the bite, what general rules does everyone follow?

We do pretty well with the Fluke (only jig bucktails), but it drives me crazy when I miss a fish.  And I sometimes miss too many...

My Dad has been Fluking for 50 years, his technique is pretty interesting, and his hookup ratio super high.  When we gets a hit, he actually starts jigging harder and more aggressively.  By the time he sets the hook (usually 10 seconds later), the rod is bent over pretty good.  The fish must feel the pressure, and occasionally they drop the jig, but not too often.

What do you guys do?  When do you drive the steel?

More than likely he was hooked up well before he set the hook.

When fluke aren't aggressively feeding, dragging them a bit gets them to commit to holding the bait.

As John stated big fluke inhale a bait, and if you don't set the hook quickly they will sometimes spit the bait as quick as they ate it.

reason bucktails work so well is if you miss a fish, dropping back and really giving a bait some crazy movement usually gets a better bite than the one missed. They just cant stand seeing that crippled bait get away .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

Is it worth it?  That's funny.  Is deer hunting worth it?  If you base it on a price per pound for fillets, then no, it's not worth it.  If you go with people you like to have a good time and have fun, then of course it's worth it.  There are much cheaper hobbies if money is a concern.

Yea.... Wasn't really looking for the  philosophical aspect of it. It's not about the money, it's more about the time spent and the regulations.

Depends how you define the value and where it lands in respect to other things of value. Per your last reply, time and regulations are what’s of value to you as opposed to the money. Whether you like the philosophy of it all or not is moot, that philosophy still exists because everyone values things differently. For some it’s not worth the cost...whether it’s in money, time or the results/catch. For others, that time shared with others is where the value is.

IMO the financial cost for the end result of what you can take home was always net negative. Now it has become obnoxiously so. But id still enjoy going to fish with friends, trying to target bigger fish if I’m fishing often or learn more about locating them in general (it’s enjoyable to just rent a boat in the river and figure out where they’re at).

Edit: I feel bad for the charter and head boat captains. They continually get squeezed by these regs in a very competitive and only seasonal job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living on the water all my life I was never crazy about fluke fishing. However; I enjoyed getting on my boat Friday or Saturday evening for the magic hour, fishing my favorites spots for 3 hrs and then at sunset switching to bass fishing for the night.  We did well most of the time but it was never about catching dinner. It was spending time with a friend or my son on the water.  
If fishing to you is filling the freezer then fluking is not the way to go. If you are looking for constant action go bottom fishing.

Fishing and Hunting the way I was brought up was always about the experience. The Rewards was the Harvest and the care and consumption of that reward.  Hunting and fishing date back many generations I was taught by my Grandfather - Father - Uncles who intern were taught by their peers. One can not put a Value on the many Hours with them. And yes times have changed mostly to the losses of opportunities & Demands for Families and Carriers. I have Memories of Hunting Success and failures. Same with Fishing Fresh and Salt Waters and able to still do some fishing all forms. Boats from 28 ft to Kayaks I had over the years. The Buddies and Partners Past and still when we or just my self-get to Fish it is all about the Experience building memories. As I have Said many times I Catch and Release be it long line release or dehooking Mostly Bait Dead Sticking sitting in my Chair on the Beach or shoreline with a Sunrise or Sunset happening If something happens to take my Hook all well and good if Not I got another Memory and Story.   Life is good Gather and Share Memories.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

16 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Depends how you define the value and where it lands in respect to other things of value. Per your last reply, time and regulations are what’s of value to you as opposed to the money. Whether you like the philosophy of it all or not is moot, that philosophy still exists because everyone values things differently. For some it’s not worth the cost...whether it’s in money, time or the results/catch. For others, that time shared with others is where the value is.

Edit: I feel bad for the charter and head boat captains. They continually get squeezed by these regs in a very competitive and only seasonal job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all due respect as far as Charter Boats Go and Captains. The Majority of owners of the larger Boats Chater out to cover the cost of owning them. And even as write-offs. Most Owners hire Captains to run the charters- Mates most likely depend on Tips. Seasonal and Part-time. There are very few that solely depend on them as a Living.    There are even Charter Captains that hire on as Headboat boat captains. Head Boats are doing ok as well as new ones are added and well kept. Seasonal some follow the Seasons by going south as the larger Charter Boats do. I have a family member who ran Charters, Captained Head Boats, and off Season works as a Ski Pro In Steam Boat Colo. and no longer does Charter or Head boats as he is a Private Captain for an 85 ft Sports Fishing Yacht April to October than off to Colorado.  Not a hard Life in my Mind.      

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I think its worth it, I love to fish so limits will never effect me but a lack of fish will, stricter regs before a fishery collapses instead of waiting after it collapses like history has it makes all the sense in the world to me. If you need to eat more fish then our current limits , they sell it all day long at the supermarkets for way less then what you can catch them for