IGNORED

How many pins?

Rutting Buck

1 hour ago, Rutting Buck said:

With 2 pins at what distance would you set your pins at?  The closest pin is 20 yards. I was thinking a 20 & 40 yard pins.....

for me, when I used multiple pins I needed 3 pins from 20 to 40. I used 4 pin sight. 

I don't like limiting myself to a distance. If my bow can kill at 60 yards then I have a pin for it and I practice that distance. What if you had a monster buck at 60 yards, relaxed and feeding in an open field? Would you pass that shot? With Trophy Ridge one Pin slider I prictice up to 75 yards and then 20, 30, 40 or 50 yards shots are very easy. Long distance shooting forces you to perfect form.

Edited by Lunatic

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

for me, when I used multiple pins I needed 3 pins from 20 to 40. I used 4 pin sight. 

I don't like limiting myself to a distance. If my bow can kill at 60 yards then I have a pin for it and I practice that distance. What if you had a monster buck at 60 yards, relaxed and feeding in an open field? Would you pass that shot? With Trophy Ridge one Pin slider I prictice up to 75 yards and then 20, 30, 40 or 50 yards shots are very easy. Long distance shooting forces you to perfect form.

Shooting at targets repetitively def can help making an archer gain better form and accuracy.

but very few shooters are capable of shooting even close to how well their equipment can perform.

put a tuned bow in a hooter shooter and it will touch arrows at 80 yards.

95% of guys shooting can't touch arrows at 30 yards.

shooting animals long range shouldn't be done based on how big the buck is , it should totally be based on whether the shooter can accurately make the shot .

big bucks rattle guys at ten yards, many times making horrible shot choice. Those nerves can create giant errors at distances beyond 50 yards.

deer aren't stationary and can move a great deal at those distances during a shot sequence.

IMO you pass that shot, and hunt the buck until you get a shot at him at a more effective distance.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I used to shoot 3 and 5 pin sights.  Then I was shooting 4 pins.  Last year I decided to slide 2 pins all the way to the bottom and just use 2 pins. 1 is 20 yards and 1 is 35 yards.  Best decision of my life.   Open sight window.  Pinpoint accuracy to 40 yards.  No worrying about a silly moving pin. I just practice with it from the ground and also from a stand and now I know exactly how it hits.  Absolutely perfect for NJ whitetails

15 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Shooting at targets repetitively def can help making an archer gain better form and accuracy.

but very few shooters are capable of shooting even close to how well their equipment can perform.

put a tuned bow in a hooter shooter and it will touch arrows at 80 yards.

95% of guys shooting can't touch arrows at 30 yards.

shooting animals long range shouldn't be done based on how big the buck is , it should totally be based on whether the shooter can accurately make the shot .

big bucks rattle guys at ten yards, many times making horrible shot choice. Those nerves can create giant errors at distances beyond 50 yards.

deer aren't stationary and can move a great deal at those distances during a shot sequence.

IMO you pass that shot, and hunt the buck until you get a shot at him at a more effective distance.

One should only take a shot he feels comfortable with and it has nothing to do with  distance. Like you said guys fall apart at 20 yards so how close or far has nothing to do with it.
I would not pass this shot if deer is relaxed. I can make this shot and I killed few deer, including  bucks at 50 yards+ with my vertical.  I also shot few more at 50+yards with  my crossbow and in my opinion deer at 50 yards show very little reaction/movement to the shot as in opposed to 20 yards.

Take a shot you are comfortable with and if that is 60 yards then more power to you.

I’ve been shooting the React 5 out of both of my mathews switchback’s. I have two identical setups for hunting and also a Mathews  Halon 32-6 that I just put up on eBay. Sorry I got off subject, it’s a 5 pin sight, but for past two years, I haven’t been practicing beyond 40 yds so I really only need 3 pins. I hate to admit it, but as I’m getting older, I just  can’t stack em up at 60 and 70 yds like I use to. 

I currently shoot a 4 pin MBG Verdict Ascent dial up sight. The 4 fixed pins get me out to 55 yds. Anything further, I use the dial up feature with the yardage tapes. The latter allows me to practice at longer ranges to prep for Western hunts.