IGNORED

skunk

mazzgolf

You never know what you're gonna see in the woods from one day to the next :).

Anyone almost have a run-in with a skunk while hunting???

I'm sitting next to a tree at 6:30am this morning waiting for shooting time to try to get another squirrel. I look up and about 50 yards out I see the very distinctive jet black-with-white-stripe figure running in almost a direct line right towards me!  :eek:  I had no idea what to do. I was about to run away like a scared little girl when Pepé Le Pew veered off and turned into some tall grass, but he was about 20 yards away from me at the nearest point. My butt was half off the chair and I was getting ready to bolt when he turned the other way.  :rofl: I was laughing at myself - wish I had a video of me, I'm sure my eyes were saucer-wide as I was trying to think, "I have 30 seconds to figure out what to do here, or I'm gonna spook this thing and then the wife is never going to let me in the house."

Basically, it was about to turn into this if he didn't veer off:

He probably didn't even see you, they have terrible vision. You were safe the whole time

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

So far Tring to Live Trap 2 feral cats in my yard I have caught 3 Racoons 1 possum 2 Skunks few Voles. all re-released back in the yard without incidents just a hasty retreat. but the Skunk and possum did go slower. I have learned not to set the trap for night time and that yielded one Cat but not the ones I am after.  went from Sardines to Cat food hoping to keep sent down some.

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

With my time in the woods only one thing consistently scares the crap out of me.  A flushing grouse in the dark while riding a horse (no headlamps).

grouse can do that to guys hunting them in the day time lol. back  in the 80's I had a friend who was an excellent wing shot, was not often he missed a duck or pheasant.

He wanted to grouse hunt with my father and I . The grouse flushing rattled  him so bad he never shot one, 

and he didn't get the shots at birds zipping through the birches, he would get a typical shot of a grouse on a rock fence flushing like a pheasant across the field.

MAN did he talk to himself after all those misses

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

He wouldn't of done anything. You can talk to them like a baby and hand feed them

I've never run into a skunk before and have no idea of their behavior in the real world - all I can go by is what I see on TV - and that is, run away screaming like a little girl  :D  :bolt:

LOL,"The adventures of Mazzgolf" I know you only recently took up hunting a few year's back and congrats on your 1st deer by the way. I love your stories.The horses,the turkey's'

now a skunk,that stinks,you might try the delaware water gap they have porcupines,you write very well,makes me feel like i'm in the woods with you,you make me laugh.Thank's for sharing!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

LOL,"The adventures of Mazzgolf" I know you only recently took up hunting a few year's back and congrats on your 1st deer by the way. I love your stories.The horses,the turkey's'

now a skunk,that stinks,you might try the delaware water gap they have porcupines,you write very well,makes me feel like i'm in the woods with you,you make me laugh.Thank's for sharing!

:happywave: Thanks. Most times I write these down for myself so I can remember it later :loco: - glad you enjoy.

And yes, I put a lot of time and energy in that first deer!

I got bit by the hunting bug hard. I have been blessed with a job that allows me to get out of the house and into the woods early mornings during the weekdays - so I can get out a lot. Most of the time I'm only out in the woods for at most a couple hours (shooting time is about 6:45 now, I usually leave to come home between 8 and 8:30) but its amazing what you sometimes can see in those first early morning hours. Sometimes the woods are just alive with all different critters.

The past couple weeks I've been trying out yote and squirrel hunting. Now that small game is over Saturday, next week I'm gonna put in time crow hunting (this season I bought two 3-pack of crow decoys and I got my e-caller all programmed up with some crow calls). I'm not giving up on yote though - still a couple more weeks to try to get that one I missed! So more updates to follow. It seems there is always something interesting that I see or that happens to me!

Yup, I've had them walk right up to me without a care.  

One of my daughter's cats befriended one a few years ago. He would hang out with the skunk a lot. Sometimes when I got home from work late, I would get out of my truck and the cat and the skunk would only be a few feet away from me. It was a little disconcerting to say the least.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".