IGNORED

Broadhead Cutting Width(Update)

Nomad

Any way to quiet it down?

Maybe a little, but I still think it is going to make quite a bit of noise from what I have read.  My longbow is pretty much silent, but I can't hit a quarter at 50 yards with it every time.  lol  Longbow will come back out in fall for buck hunting, but going to continue to tweak the crossbow for late season backyards bowhunting.

You put a massive cut mechanical on there, it will probably further jolt that deer on impact,  but the larger cut will probably counteract that. Not a xbow expert by any means, but those that use them religiously with bigger cut mechanicals, seem to be having the opposite experience as you with those bolt cutters.

The only mechanicals I ever used were a couple different Grim Reapers and The NAP Spitfires. In all but 1 of the deer I shot with them, the deer died within 40 yards.  Usually it was closer to 30.  The blood loss from a large cutting mechanical head is so massive that they simply can't run too far.  It looks like the woods are painted red when you hit them.  

That being said, I don't actually use mechanicals anymore...  I'm using Magnus Black Hornet 4 blades and Bishop Archery Single Bevels from my compound.  I have a few Reapers at home that I may use in the future.  

Edited by not on the rug

I've used reapers, rage hypo, and swackers in a xbow.  I've had deer go 150 yards plus...but never when I put it through both lungs.  I generally get those around the 50 yard mark.  I've had mixed result with blood trails.  Sometimes it's like a highway...but sometimes the blood doesn't start for a while...but on the double-lungers I'm never going very far.  

I didn't read thru all the responses so I apologize if any of this was already mentioned.  My buddy shoots an excalibur with the same heads for years now.  Every deer he hits, even on well placed shots, the blood trail sucks and the deer goes farther than it ever should have.  There's something that doesn't jive with that x bow and that head.  I'm on him all the time to change BH's, but he's too hard headed.  That's just my experience. 

Need one more deer, so going to try a Carbon Express Torrid 3 blade expandable.  I will be using them with my son's crossbow though because I have his sighted in with them, and not mine.  Have not shot anything with them yet.  They were recommended by the  Field Archer.  https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/carbon-express-torrid-ss-3-blade-expandable-broadheads-3-pack?a=2130944&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qDTBRD-ARIsAJ_10yI5yo1qZBIe3E-SiWTkdcVDiU1LUNNS-hiC6lTO1rj3mYXOLAeAnn8aAiEiEALw_wcB

Edited by Nomad

Obviously you’re looking for something for the crossbow. Not sure if these fly well out of crossbow but I have heard some good things about gravedigger Broadheads. Supposedly get great penetration with the hybrid COC/mechanical design.