IGNORED

Broadhead Cutting Width(Update)

Nomad

The last six bucks I've shot from 130 to 165 pounds dressed all dropped in sight going between 20-60 yards. First two was muzzy four blade and last four were helix two blade 1 3/16 inch I believe. IMO a scared deer runs farther than a deer that don't know what hit em. Big blades, loud xbow= scared deer, normal heads, quiet bow= deer don't know what hit em.

I do believe does are tougher than bucks though so they usually run a bit farther!

also based on your entrance/exit holes it's clear you were ground level...      When elevated, hitting your entrance but with exit 4-6" lower, will produce a paint can blood trail, guaranteed, and that is with a 1 3/8" fixed 3-blade.     If elevated, but entering higher but matching your exit, will be very little blood as it tends to fill body cavity.  

Then there is this extreme blood letting, which is similar to your entrance, but 20' up and very steep quartering away angle, with exit through the lower brisket between both front shoulders... Quite possibly the most gruesome blood trail I have ever seen...  The doe went 120 yards but had blood from point of impact and the last 60 yards was a complete horror show.  Same diameter 3 blade you are using, but just a COC VPA (not sure if COC makes a difference over chisel tip but I sure love them and love the blood trails).

The difference in this last September doe, was the super low exit.   Think about it. Take a milk jug full of water, and hit it high with your bolt cutter BH...  Consider the entire jug as being both lungs... The high hole, only a bit of water gonna drain out, the rest stays inside...

Hit the full of water jug low, and most or all that water gonna pour out like crazy until it's drained.  (I know it's not EXACTLY the same concept - but close).

Picture sequence is entrance, then exit, then snapshots of the blood trail from about 40 yards into the trail until about 30 yards from end of the trail. Last pic is the BH that was deployed for this act.

2017 eab doe entrance.jpg

2017 eab doe exit.jpg

2017 eab doe blood trl 1.jpg

2017 eab doe blood trl 2.jpg

2017 eab doe blood trl 3.jpg

2017 eab doe blood trl 4.jpg

2017 eab doe BH arrow broke.jpg

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

also based on your entrance/exit holes it's clear you were ground level... When elevated, hitting your entrance but with exit 4-6" lower, will produce a paint can blood trail, guaranteed, and that is with a 1 3/8" fixed 3-blade. If elevated, but entering higher but matching your exit, will be very little blood as it tends to fill body cavity.

Then there is this extreme blood letting, which is similar to your entrance, but 20' up and very steep quartering away angle, with exit through the lower brisket between both front shoulders... Quite possibly the most gruesome blood trail I have ever seen... The doe went 120 yards but had blood from point of impact and the last 60 yards was a complete horror show. Same diameter 3 blade you are using, but just a COC VPA (not sure if COC makes a difference over chisel tip but I sure love them and love the blood trails).

The difference in this last September doe, was the super low exit. Think about it. Take a milk jug full of water, and hit it high with your bolt cutter BH... Consider the entire jug as being both lungs... The high hole, only a bit of water gonna drain out, the rest stays inside...

Hit the full of water jug low, and most or all that water gonna pour out like crazy until it's drained. (I know it's not EXACTLY the same concept - but close).

Picture sequence is entrance, then exit, then snapshots of the blood trail from about 40 yards into the trail until about 30 yards from end of the trail. Last pic is the BH that was deployed for this act.

I can’t imagine what the antis that troll this site think when they see pics like this LMAO However back to the point of the thread(no pun intended) This is the type of stuff that confuses the hell out of me with xbows. As I’ve said before, using the same head (thunderhead) with xbow and compound i got similar results to your pics with my compound but with the xbow at the same distance, tree and shot angle the bloodtrail was marginal at best. Again, i have no freahin idea why

AWM

Jack I was actually in a tree. 15 feet up and deer was at 30 yards.

so you are saying, cross bows are so fast, they eliminate the downward angle altogether?  Exit same as entrance?

LOL

Yeah at 30 yards, 15' high, not much difference entrance/exit...         Deer ran on adrenaline...I do think a few inches lower, different outcome... (more blood, shorter track), but I totally get where you are coming from, because anytime most of us double lung a deer which you did, it's an easy track and often drop in sight....

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Sadly, after seeing your last 'test", I will not be using the 6 brand new boltcutters that I have sitting at home.    

I use the same set-up he does and havent had a deer run farther than 40 yards.    I think JHbowhunter is 100% correct, placement matters over anything else.

That said, I'll buy those 6 brand new boltcutters off you if you're discounting them.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

I've used 150 grain Slick Tricks since we got the crossbow 5 years ago and every deer has gone down in under 100 yards with real nice blood trails.  

I notice that they are the same width as the Boltcutters, but have 4 blades.  

Edited by Nomad