IGNORED

Running Tap Lines.

Roon

Yup tap not trap. That time of year again month of February usually a good standard for here. Last year was my 1st try, did good collected about 100 gallons and wound up with five quarts of syrup.

1st time round I reduced on my fire pit over open fire which added smoky flavor, not so good on pancakes, but I made quite a few batches of sweet and sweaty wings, which to I had no complaints from anyone.

Going to collect for week or so once I get around 20 gallons I will start the boiling process.

I will be reducing on a propane fire this year, and will hopefully wind up with enough to last till next February.

Fun hobby time in woods and cool to watch and see it all transform from water to rot your teeth goodness.

20170201_152056.jpg

Edited by Roon

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

Trees are flowing real good first day only 4 taps didn't produce. Nice first day haul of 6 gallons, with the cold daytime Temps it will probably slow up a bit this weekend, but next week showing perfect Temps and trees should be pumping. Thanks all will keep posted with the process.

20170202_150736.jpg

20170202_151550.jpg

20170202_153900.jpg

My friend taps dozens and dozens of trees every year to make syrup for Howell Living History Farm. It's a long process to boil it down to syrup.

I couldn't Imagine dozens and dozens, I am running 25 right now and that is plenty. For sure a labor of love, but absolutely awesome when you see end result start to finish.

Last year's take

20160306_172443.jpg

The sap from the tree looks like water - is it that clear and watery coming out of the tree? What kind of trees do people tap?

Any maple is tapable for "maple syrup" the only thing that changes is sugar content, any where from 1 to 4%. You can also tap nut trees like black wall nut, hickory and peacon. But then you get a sugary syrup with a nutty under tone, not like the Log Cabin every one is used to.

Having grown up in New England I refuse to use anything other than real maple syrup.  I raised my kids on it.  There is no substitute.

When I was in kindergarten the class toured a place that made maple syrup.  They boiled it over hardwood for what seemed like days, and it reduces to nothing.  I've considered making it myself, but that is a bigger commitment than making beer.  Hats off to you for making your own!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.