IGNORED

this is why I never load my gun until I'm all settled in

6 minutes ago, Grassmans said:

Sad,but why was the safety off !!

A safety should not be relied on..  it is as mechanical device that can fail..  treat every gun as it is loaded.  Never have a loaded gun that you don't intend to have on your person or in your sole control

36 minutes ago, Grassmans said:

Sad,but why was the safety off !!

It wasn't off when the gun was put down. The dog stepped on the safety and turned it off:

"Labrador retriever named Tito, jumped in the bed of the Ranger. As he walked around finding a place to sit, he stepped on the safety of Branch's shotgun and pulled the trigger."

I don't load my gun until I am in the stand, all set up and have said a prayer of thanks for the day, THAT IS WITHOUT EXCEPTION !!

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

One deer a thon, long ago, a c.o. was checking us out.
I leaned my cleared 12ga. against the truck gathering my licence. He said no bueno to the shotgun leaning on the vehicle.
I'm sure loaded guns in the vehicle was a no bueno.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, YurytheRed said:

Being a novice compared to just about everyone on this site, I just assume to treat every gun as if it is loaded and the safety might be off. A bit paranoid perhaps but at my level quite appropriate.     

That's how it should be for anyone, novice, long-time-hunter, whatever! I even try to make sure I don't swing the gun across someone - even if I know it's unloaded and safe (because the other person doesn't know that!)... I hope others extend the same courtesy towards me - you might know your gun is unloaded and safe, but I don't know that. Please point the muzzle in a safe direction always.

If you're not actually shooting, keeping the action open is a safe and respectful thing to do.

Also, remember that we're often entering/exiting the woods outside of legal shooting hours. Loaded gun = hunting. I learned that my very first day of pheasant hunting long ago at Clinton. I was walking through the woods to get to a spot before the 8 am opening …. an old DFW truck comes bouncing through the woods to me …. and I had shells in the magazine. I got a code violation my very first day. lol The CO's were nice guys, but still wrote me up.

Treating every gun as if it were loaded, not allowing the muzzle to be pointed at something you do not plan to shoot, and actions always open are three rules that were hammered to me when I was young, some times with a good boot up the back side when I wouldn't listen.  These days I'm not so sure for certain ones

Edited by Silver Belly62