IGNORED

Very poor customer service/butcher

LPJR

First off, rarely...... meaning never, have I ever wrote of a poor experience regarding a service provided. Only reason for this is to have another person or friend avoid the poor customer service that I was exposed to only just yesterday. My go to butcher for deer was recently out of commission during gun week due to a family health issue. Anyway my son shot a 5 pointer on the last day of gun week and I brought it to a butcher close to our home. No names mentioned here, not trying to bash anyone on this thread because I personally told him how I felt about his actions to his face and told him he will never see my business again. 

I was given a call asking when I can pick up the deer last week as it was finished. Due to work, I asked when on Friday the shop would be open, as it was my first day off. I was told until 7pm. I arrived at 4:30 and the shop was closed and no answer on the phone. 

I arrived yesterday to pick up the deer which was $95.00. I gave a $100.00 bill and asked for change. Now I expected that I was leaving with a box of bones and hide, but was stunned to see the antlers still attached to the head in the box of frozen parts. Placing the boxes in the car, I returned inside to ask the butcher if he could kindly "skull cap" the antlers. He not only hesitated like it was a problem, but told me "No." He said I did not specify when I dropped the deer off that I wanted the antlers skull capped. I agreed and told him may not have. I apologized and said it  would be appreciated if he could quickly cut them off.  Again he said I did not specify when I dropped off the deer and said he did not "have that kind of time" refusing to do it.  A person working with him appeared stunned by the lack of  personality and customer service. About 6 years ago this same butcher gave me and several friends a hard time because we were 2 minutes late arriving to his shop as we were stuck in traffic. That was the last time I used this butcher until this past week because mine was out of commission. 

While leaving I told the butcher that I felt his customer service was among the worst of anyone business owner that I have had the experience of using. EVER. I informed him that he just reminded me why I stopped going to him over 6 years ago. Now, keep in mind that I sent at least 10-15 friends to this guy when our butcher was down during gun week. As I reminded him of that he came out to my car and said he would skull cap the deer. I told him no thanks and left.  Last time he will see my business....  

Edited by LPJR

Man that sucks. I am not telling you what to do, but if it was me I would mention his name so others on here who may be in that area could avoid him. It's too bad you are up in Sussex county because  Big Dog in Sayreville is a butcher I use and am VERY satisfied with his service.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Man that sucks. I am not telling you what to do, but if it was me I would mention his name so others on here who may be in that area could avoid him. It's too bad you are up in Sussex county because  Big Dog in Sayreville is a butcher I use and am VERY satisfied with his service.

Not trying to hurt his business or personally attack him on social media so am refraining and will not. I am just thrown back because I politely asked him if he could merely skull cap it. (Although frozen, it literally took me 5 seconds at home to do with a sawzall)  But to be treated like I was a kid or did something wrong is what threw me for a loop.  I just paid in cash for a service and threw out his garbage for him. Like the saying goes, live and learn I guess. Back to Frank's deer processing in Montague from now on for us. 

Sorry to read this. I think I know the butcher you dealt with, if so I was told his butchering work is excellent, but others told me his CS skills suck as you unfortunately experience. I hunt not far from Frank's, I never used his butchering services, but two friends have, and both didn't like his work

This scenario fits one butcher in Sussex County area. I think everyone knows who it is. He has insulted, abused etc. almost every person that has used him. Why anyone would go there is puzzling. Excellent butcher but mouth should be duck taped. I wouldn't use him if it was last butcher around. This guy is bad news...

From the information I've gathered over nearly 30 years of hunting in NJ, and participation on this forum and the site that shall not be named, there seem to be 3 good butchers in the entire state of NJ.  If you're not going to one of them, you're asking for trouble.  I know where I take my deer and it certainly isn't' someone who hands me a box of bones and hide or gives me attitude. 

I have used 4 butchers so far 
1 was amazing its to bad he is having a hard time with the city he lives in. The second one was good but just a lot of money. The 3rd and who I still use I have never had any issues with but my buddy did one time. And the 4th guy who did my bear last year in sussex county I was not happy with at all and he wasnt very friendly and would never use again.

AWM #2

sorry to read this.  It's sorta like "Rage" BH's....  "I never had a problem with them so it must be you...."   I used to go to Travis "TD Butchers" in Stillwater but starting using this service once Travis stopped doing it.

Regarding this butcher, we get along fine so clearly it has to be you....   JUST KIDDING.  I have sent folks there to be 100% satisfied and some were not. Nobody including me is a big fan of getting the box of bones back, but that is just the deal he has with the town.  There is a pattern of "hot and cold" personality, that I would prefer didn't exist.

I do feel the work is 100% quality cuts and packaging at a competitive price, and the sausage and other products are excellent.  But then there is this - unfortunately.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I've been top Jorge & Sons, and can attest that the guy has ABSOLUTELY ZERO customer service skills....He is expensive and nickles and dimes you to death charging extra for basic services that nearly every other butcher includes in the total price....and I'll also agree that his business "hours" are more like guidelines.....Been there when he said he would be open, only to find the place closed and I wound up sitting in his parking spots for 20 min before I just got fed up and left....Also no communica6ions at all if there's a problem. I dropped off a deer in the early season (when he wasn't to busy) and had most of it done in sausage....apparently he was lacking certain spices for the sausage and had to order them, and it took over a month to get that deer back....no phone call from him explaining the delay, nothing....I called three times and got the run around....and when he finally did call, I showed up and he gives ME crap about why I took so long to get my deer...WTF.

The only thing I can say about the guy is that he does a good quality job and his sausage is damn good......I don't mind the higher cost as I'm willing to pay or quality work, But I haven't been back because of his attitude