IGNORED

Very poor customer service/butcher

LPJR

If you're up north or by 23, this is the place to go:

http://themeatingplacenj.com

Here's a news clipping of the place:

http://archive.northjersey.com/news/business/the-meating-place-come-for-the-meat-but-try-deli-1.1132120

I've been going there for 20 years and never once had a bad experience.  Small shop, but they take care of you.  Family owned.

And, yes, everything is just better in Haskell.

You have to skin and chop the head off the deer before you drop it off, but that's no biggie.  No box of bones back.  Everything is wrapped in freezer paper, not vacuumed.  All kinds of sausages, you name what you want.  I always bring the deer in the back door to be polite to other customers.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

If you're up north or by 23, this is the place to go:

http://themeatingplacenj.com

Here's a news clipping of the place:

http://archive.northjersey.com/news/business/the-meating-place-come-for-the-meat-but-try-deli-1.1132120

I've been going there for 20 years and never once had a bad experience.  Small shop, but they take care of you.  Family owned.

And, yes, everything is just better in Haskell.

You have to skin and chop the head off the deer before you drop it off, but that's no biggie.  No box of bones back.  Everything is wrapped in freezer paper, not vacuumed.  All kinds of sausages, you name what you want.  I always bring the deer in the back door to be polite to other customers.

I have driven by that place a million times, but I didn't know they processed deer. How do you cover the skinned deer when you transport it there?

Bannock, if you're hunting in Sussex, Hartman's is a LONG ways from there. They are way down in South NJ (Berlin)...probably 2-2.5 hours from Sussex county hunting.

What are some of the good Sussex county butchers people are using?  I'm going to bump the butcher topic! :up:

Ironically, I've used Jorge and Son and been very happy with him.  I guess certain personalities rub certain folks the wrong way.  I've never had problems with him.  He is obviously very busy at times and won't always have time to shoot the breeze, but that goes with the territory.  See him during early fall bow and you may have a nice, long, enjoyable conversation.  Come in during 6 Day and he just isn't going to have the same customer skills when he's packed to the rafters with deer and bear.  To each his own, I guess.  

Contractor's bag.

I assume a contractor's bag is like a lawn and leaf bag only bigger. Where can I purchase one?

I didn't see anything about deer processing on their website, but I must assume they make sausage and other special cuts.

What do they charge?

I assume a contractor's bag is like a lawn and leaf bag only bigger. Where can I purchase one?

I didn't see anything about deer processing on their website, but I must assume they make sausage and other special cuts.

What do they charge?

You can pick up contractor's bags at any big box home store (Lower, Home Depot, etc.).  They're just thick (3 mils or more) 55-gallon garbage bags.

The last two deer I got cost about $100 to process each.  33.5#s off of the first one, which was a scrappy little buck.  I didn't weigh the second one when I got it back.  The first was roasts, steaks and chopped.  The second one was roast, steaks and sweet/hot sausage.  I could have asked for kielbasa, hot dogs, etc.  I am more into the steaks/roasts than sausage, and I got a good amount of sausage from the second deer.

Give Dylan a call or stop in to talk to him about processing your deer.  He's closed Sunday and Monday, but I know he's in the shop on Monday's during the season cutting deer.  I dropped the last one off on a Saturday afternoon and got it back on Tuesday afternoon.  I'm not in a rush to get it processed, I just want it done right.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.