IGNORED

What’s the average age of trappers

I assume the average age of a trapper is probably in there 50’s or even higher. 

To the few guys on this site that teach the trapper’s education class and are apart of NJ Trappers association is there any young blood in this sport that traps? 

I know a few kids 18-20 that trap a raccoon or a fox here or there but nothing like when we were younger

23 minutes ago, Tuck said:

I am signed up for trapping course next month.  Will be 55 soon but my daughters, 15 & 17 are also signed up.  Late to the game for me but hopefully it sticks for them.  Will be looking for all the help and advice I can get from here on out.  

Good luck i’m not to familiar with the guys who teach trappers ed but I hear there a hell of a team over there. I think there’s even a few younger guys but not sure

Even if you don't think you are going to trap anytime soon, or only want to trap a specific species, take the course now and get it out of the way. It's a fun and interesting course, so it isn't like a waste of time.

Even if you don't plan on trapping, you never know. When on your hunting grounds all of a sudden a pack of yotes move in, you can get your license and trap asap. You don't have to worry about, "Well, drat, now I have to wait for a class to start, and hope my schedule opens up so I can attend." Schedule it now and get it out of the way. It's free :) 

I took the trapping course a few years ago, and I didn't plan on trapping that year. I just know I want to eventually, so I got the course out of the way now so I can buy the license whenever I want. And it worked out because a friend who was letting me hunt her place said she was having coon problems so I said, "Hey! I can help you out!"

57 minutes ago, chenrossi said:

average age is about 64 (no I'm not kidding). 

I was assuming that’s what it was. I think the average age of hunters is in their 50s. So I figured trapping had to be higher. 

I’ve said many times I plan to get back into trapping when I retire and have time. I took the old course back in the mid to late 70s and would have to take it again today because I didn’t go through the snare portion of the course as it didn’t exist back then. 

But when I took the course and trapped, you could actually make some $$ on the pelts. That’s getting harder and harder to do. 

12 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I plan to get back into trapping when I retire and have time.

That was EXACTLY my thought process.

I'm hoping that happens in 5 to 10 years. Regardless of what some CEOs think, if I'm still working by 65, I did something wrong ;) 

Every class usually has a couple kids 12 and then some teens, it’s becoming more and more popular right now, for education it’s a name your number of students we can handle to let in, I think between the two spring classes registration was stopped at 150 or 175 between the two and they filled in two weeks or less 

1 hour ago, rgw said:

It kind of seems lately the younger  are into it and parents are doing it to spend time with their kids, lately we have had quite a few moms take it with their kids

That’s awesome I would hate to see the sport die. hopefully some of that younger generation becomes instructors one day!